PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
If I were in the market I'd get one with a bowl full of tobacco, smoke it then, wander down to the Thames and toss it in. That way you have the full, historical (hysterical?) experience. bdw:sher:
Amazing that the broke so often that Thames is literally full of broken pipes, then again they were super cheap so it wasn't a big deal to break one and toss it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have eight clay pipes.
When I open a new tin of tobacco, the first bowl is usually smoked in one of my clay pipes.
Yes, the bowl gets hot.
If you don't coat the end of the stem with beeswax or something, your lips will stick to the pipe. (I melt the beeswax and then apply it to a clay pipe with a brush.)

The bowls on my clays are smaller than on my briars but I have gotten up to an hour smoke out of my clays.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
I have eight clay pipes.
When I open a new tin of tobacco, the first bowl is usually smoked in one of my clay pipes.
Yes, the bowl gets hot.
If you don't coat the end of the stem with beeswax or something, your lips will stick to the pipe. (I melt the beeswax and then apply it to a clay pipe with a brush.)

The bowls on my clays are smaller than on my briars but I have gotten up to an hour smoke out of my clays.
Luckily I have access to a bee keeper. Just called and he said I can have all the wax I want lol.

Reactions: Leomania

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
No experience speaking here, but I’ve heard they help you get the truest taste of a particular blend because there is no ghosting factor with them. I was thinking about getting one so I could use it to smoke each type of tobacco individually, so I could experience what Virginia alone taste like, and burley, etc.

Reactions: Leomania

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Amazing that the broke so often that Thames is literally full of broken pipes, then again they were super cheap so it wasn't a big deal to break one and toss it.
The pipes were sold with a full bowl of tobacco, smoked and tossed. The probably weren't broken until they rolled around in water and were battered by rocks and such.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have eight clay pipes.
Yes, the bowl gets hot.

Watch out posting these serious responses that address the OP's question! :LOL:

It sounds like all the thread participants are imagining a clay pipe like the ones they smoke in taverns in the 1600's. Things have advanced since then. I bought a Le Peltier years ago and loved it so much that I ordered another (they aren't bare clay on the outside of the stummel).

Maintenance is simple - wipe it out after every smoke to ensure that cake doesn't build up, and wash out the chamber with water every now and then. You can always enjoy a very nice, clean smoke.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
My understanding is that they started off very long and were rented by the tavern-keeper. The end was broken off after each smoker. Eventually there was nothing but a bowl and a very short stem...thus, all the stummels in the Thames.

Reactions: Speak Easy

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
There were "house" pipes (long stemmed) and those which the purchaser took along with them (shorter stems, single use, pre-filled).

I'd assumed the OP was speaking to a "generic/back in the day" clay as he didn't specify otherwise. Me bad I suppose.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
There were "house" pipes (long stemmed) and those which the purchaser took along with them (shorter stems, single use, pre-filled).

I'd assumed the OP was speaking to a "generic/back in the day" clay as he didn't specify otherwise. Me bad I suppose.
Never heard of those, but the subject of clay in the Thames came up and I gave my conjecture.

But really, I don't think anyone is positive as to the exact lives of these pipes prior to people dredging up their remains from rivers.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
There is plenty of historical literature available both in novels and historical publications and, not surprisingly, art. Plenty. So, historians can be very knowledgeable with regards to how folks lived "back in the day." As much as we know about "iron age" living and other eras it would be surprising that we had no knowledge of more recent times wouldn't it? The evolution of smoking is pretty well documents through writings from the period we are presently discussing. Nothing arcane about those times.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
There is plenty of historical literature available both in novels and historical publications and, not surprisingly, art. Plenty. So, historians can be very knowledgeable with regards to how folks lived "back in the day." As much as we know about "iron age" living and other eras it would be surprising that we had no knowledge of more recent times wouldn't it? The evolution of smoking is pretty well documents through writings from the period we are presently discussing. Nothing arcane about those times.

Not saying you haven't figured it out, but my opinion is based on what I've read (which is a lot), and I'm not seeing total agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.