PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Title edited. Caps and clarification. -jpm

Hello, I wanted to write about a handful of house blends I've tried over here. They have minimal descriptions of contents, and no reviews on TR. They come from a shop called Roman Peter, and another called Tabak Laedeli.

First, the Roman Peter offerings:

Fox Cake, described as "Various Virginia tobaccos from India and Malawi rounded off with a pinch of Périque, a curly cut with a delicate aroma.", photo below. It screams Gawith to me, not only from the description of "Virginias from India and Malawi" but also from the look and feel of the curlies. These look like they came from a pressed rope, and only Gawith makes them. It tastes suspiciously close to Curly Cut Deluxe, with perhaps less of the sour fermented taste I love in that blend. Maybe it was the bowls I had. It's very nice, middle of the road Virginia, with substantial body and a bit of sweetness. Look at this intact coin, it was clearly cut off a pressed rope.

IMG-0451.jpg

Grandy Cut, described as "A wonderful Rolls of Virginia and Perique tobacco. The tobacco is briefly pressed into a thin flake plate and then mechanically rolled into a long strand. The beautiful rolls are then created by cutting off the strand.". Yes it has a Cavendish centre, though it is not mentioned. I know there are several variations of these bullseye coins, and I only had the Davidoff Flake Medallions - a great but very expensive blend - and Dan's Roppel's Roundels which was good but didn't blow me away. TR describes Roppel's Roundels as "To make this tobacco, sweet Virginia was pressed into a plate with a pinch of perique. It was then wrapped around a Black Cavendish heart and pressed again. The roll was then cut into slices. Together this results in a tasty, sweet and spicy taste that is dominated by Virginia.". I am thinking this is Roppel's Roundels by another name due to the use of the word "plate", I think it is an issue with translating as it doesn't make much sense in English, and the German word can also mean "sheet". The smell from the tin is divine, spicy and fermented, the taste follows through the same, backed up by some sweetness. I prefer this to Roppel's even though it may be the same thing in fact.

IMG-0465.jpg

And finally, from Tabak Ladeli in Zurich, Mixture 1800, described as a "Light, sweet Virginias with a pinch of Perique". I have no idea who may be the manufacturer. The flakes are well-formed, but a tad rough and thick, which could mean Gawith, yet the taste hasn't got any hints of Gawith in it. The taste is a again a middle of the road VaPer, reminding me of StBernard Flake, if a bit darker and less sweet. It is also very tasty.

IMG-0466.jpg

So there you have it, three VaPers from Swiss shops, all good to smoke and pretty affordable, if anyone has any insights on who the blenders may be I'd be glad to know, though I will happily remain ignorant and smoke all three regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Very good reviews! I need to try Deluxe Curly Cut again. I ordered a pound from Mars Cigars in 2015/2016. Unfortunately, they didn’t properly store it. It was dried out to the point where they never should have sold it to me, it must have been drying on their shelves for years, no bringing it back to life, I should have demanded a refund at the time but that’s besides the point. You’ve mentioned it a few times now and the way you describe it sounds delicious.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Very good reviews! I need to try Deluxe Curly Cut again. I ordered a pound from Mars Cigars in 2015/2016. Unfortunately, they didn’t properly store it. It was dried out to the point where they never should have sold it to me, it must have been drying on their shelves for years, no bringing it back to life, I should have demanded a refund at the time but that’s besides the point. You’ve mentioned it a few times now and the way you describe it sounds delicious.
We have similar tastes, for sure, Curly Cut Deluxe quickly became a favourite of mine, hope you find it and in a good state!

• Love
Reactions: motie2 and hawky454