PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeh

Lurker
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original: "Is there a shape name for a reverse-canted bowl w straight stem?"

I have a few pipes that have a slight forward cant, like a cutty or zulu kind of shape. And if I smoke while working on something with my head facing downward, the bowl opening can sometimes start facing the ground. Usually nothing escapes, since the tobacco has expanded, but I think I'd like to try a straight pipe with a reverse-cant.

I think if I put a straight stem on a bent-billiard, that would be perfect. Is there a name for that kind of shape? Can anyone suggest an example I could see?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipeh

Lurker
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
Kaywoodie called it a streamliner.View attachment 222384

Oh, interesting, thank you. That's quite a chin on that thing. It's a good name - reminiscent of a streamlined locomotive.
stream2.jpg

But it's not quite what I was imagining - the opening on this looks parallel to the line of the stem, and I think I was picturing having the opening at an angle facing the smoker.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I have a few pipes that have a slight forward cant, like a cutty or zulu kind of shape. And if I smoke while working on something with my head facing downward, the bowl opening can sometimes start facing the ground. Usually nothing escapes, since the tobacco has expanded, but I think I'd like to try a straight pipe with a reverse-cant.

I think if I put a straight stem on a bent-billiard, that would be perfect. Is there a name for that kind of shape? Can anyone suggest an example I could see?
Like a reverse cutty? Aka the “yttuc”

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Look at the Hungarian shape or the tyrolean ... designed for hands free use. The bend in stem can be adjusted with heat to suit your needs. My unlabled cellini ($34.00) has a straighter than normal (higher angle) stem :

Attachments

• 1684585557918.jpeg
    1684585557918.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2