PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Virginia leaf in blends and single leaf is regarded by many as the upper echelon of pipe smoking. Being a burley devotee, I suspect I will never ascend to quite those heights, but I do enjoy a good Virginia blend or single leaf and would like to hear of the true refined splender of Virginias at their best.

So if Virginia is your main pipe smoking event, and you want to share some pointers on its subtleties and joys, here's your chance.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I hear the footsteps coming up the stairs. He doesn't knock, he just drops the package and turns to leave. It's here!
I crack the door and say "thank you" to his back while he returns to his truck. He waves a hand in acknowledgement as I bring the parcel inside. There are tins in this box. Maybe a few packs of pipe cleaners too. But it's the bag I'm looking for, the one with the Virginia tobacco. It could be Newminster 400, or maybe one of the PS luxury blends. Whatever it is, I have a plan.
I pull a few pieces out, coins or flakes, and carefully place them in a small 4oz jelly jar. These are for reference, the "before" sample upon which I will base a future comparison. The rest go into a pint-sized mason jar with a piece of foil screwed down as a makeshift lid. It's time to bake. 190 degrees and 5 hours later, the timer sounds and out it comes. I see the precipitation on the glass, little droplets of flavor I cannot let escape. Quicky and carefully I swap out the foil with the proper lid, and just for a moment, I get a hint of what's to come. The smell of sweet, fragrant Graham crackery goodness teases me briefly; I really have something to look forward to.
In the darkness this jar will sit for 30 days. As much as I want to fold, stuff and sip right then and there, I will be patient. And I wait.
One month later, it happens... the payoff... Opening that jar and carefully removing a deep, rich dark flake; I pack that first bowl. And there it is. Like the answer to an unasked question. Sweet, smooth Virginia tobacco.
I looked for this in all the usual places; aros, burleys, Englishes. All have their merits. But this is special. And although I enjoy the searching, trying and experimenting, this is what I signed up for.
Virginias.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Different makers have their own house style. Those I most enjoy are G&H, McClelland, Germains - before 2020, the 2018 and before HU Blends, and Sutliff matches as well as their matured Reds, more robustly flavored tobaccos. Expectations are different with different makers and I don't find any advantage to comparing apples to oranges.
My favorites tend toward matured Reds, a variety pretty much heading toward extinction, and the darker Virginias, stoved, etc.
While I find Virginias are more delicate than Oriental leaf I also experience a kaleidoscope flavors within the genre. There's more skill involved in coaxing the flavors. There's a sweet spot when a blend really sings. It's not rocket science, just experimentation and practice.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ll try to keep this simple. One thing I love about Virginias of all types is the how the bottom half of the bowl is better than the top. I expect a lot of Virginias to be thin, acrid, and just not so great for the first couple of minutes after lighting up. But then things change and flavors get deeper, rounder, and sweeter. For many blends that I like there’s a subtle development of a brown sugar flavor as the bowl develops and the sugars in the tobacco at the bottom cook a little bit.

To my palate, burleys don’t do this. At best they are the same at the bottom as at the top (this is my experience with most of the burley blends I like). Sometimes, however, anything off about a burley blend or that particular bowl just becomes more pronounced.

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Samuel Gawith RB plug was a great revelation to me. I'm not over keen on their Full Virginia Flake, but this is the same blend in plug form with a herbal topping of Cheviot. It is stellar and chases all those rainbows of bread and fruit and ginger. I swear it is a different blend from FVF, but it is not. An all time favorite for me and it burns cooler than any other straight Virginia

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I enjoy the more bready/malty/yeasty types of Virginia with GH & Co. Scotch Flake leading the pack. I also enjoy stoved Virginia, but more as an after dinner smoke much like Port is an after dinner wine.
I can and do enjoy red Virginia, but only with 10 years or more jar time. Fresh red Virginia will torch my mouth within a few puffs, unfortunately.
I find the high notes of bright lemon and orange Virginia’s not to my liking, but as @krizzose pointed out, when I do smoke bright Virginia’s, the second half of the bowl is more enjoyable than the first.
Having said all this, VA & Va/Per’s are my go to blends.

Reactions: mso489

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm no connoisseur, but such as I have, I offer.

Like many, for years I smoked mainly latakia mixtures, preferably with high oriental content. A couple of years ago, latakia began to grow distasteful to me, but at the same time, I began to taste VAs like I never had before.

Prior to this, VAs tasted ashy to me. This was partly due to poor form (which some latakia mixtures let you get away with), but also I do feel (perhaps incorrectly, I don't know) that something developed in my palate-brain connection after which I could catch and appreciate the nuances of VA.

In the last month or so, I've been revisiting a buch of latakia mixtures, as my taste for them has partly returned, and I've been curious to see what I still like. I've found that I'm now much picker about latakia mixtures than I used to be -- but a small handful still stand out, and I'm putting them back into rotation.

Still, VAs will continue to be my main thing.

I will confess that I do not get the "lemon" notes from yellow VA that many do. Maybe this too will develop with time, or maybe I'll just never taste that.
Yellow VAs sometimes come closest to still tasting "ashy" for me.
Where I taste the "grassy" notes in yellows most strongly is not in a Straight VA or a VaPer, but actually in a light latakia mixture -- Squadron Leader. There is a little latakia in the background, but to me the dominant note there is freshly mown lawn, from the yellow VAs.

Red VAs have been my favorite for awhile. Notes are sometimes tangy, earthy, sweet-bready, etc. "Tin note" usually has some dark, fermentive fruit (think British figgy pudding), but I haven't found those tin notes to carry over the palate as much as I wish they did.
The best straight Red I've ever had is 40th Anniversary, a gift from @timt. But that is never coming back, so no point in directing people to that.
Capstan Blue is a very good Red VA, which JimInks tells us hasn't really changed for many decades. It's a few bucks more than many tins, but far less than any unicorn, and readily available. Notes here are sort like a tangy sweet iced tea.

I haven't loved brown VAs so much, although there are many VAs which include them, which I love. HH Pure VA may be the best Straight VA readily available. It's a good price if you buy it by the pound (a very signifant price difference from the tin). It is predominatly Red, but with a good bit of brown and some yellow stacked in there. The flavors are not quite as sweet as some VAs -- more earthy, and very natural and multifaceted.

For dark/stoved VAs, I've been disappointed with Wessex Campaign, which gets rave reviews but always tastes a bit ashy and dark in a quasi-cigarish way to me.
However, Astley's 44 (the other contender for dark/stoved VA) has become one of my all-time favorite tobaccos. I actually taste some of that dark, fermentive fruit in this, along with a good bit of sweetness.
The other dark VA I taste a lot of dark, fermentive fruit in is actually not a Straight VA, but a VaPer -- Salty Dogs. It's expensive -- about twice the price of most 50 g. tins -- and it comes in a very dense plug, so depending on preparation, you probably get fewer smokes from it. It's more of a special occasion smoke for me, but boy, if you want to taste that figgy pudding note, with a touch of molasses or treacle, here it is. Mm.

As others have said, to taste VAs you have to keep them on the verge of going out. They have a narrow taste window -- too cool and they go out, too warm and they get ashy. It's a finicky thing. But if you have the time to relax with it -- who cares?

Well this wound up too wordy. Feel free to bypass!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Straight Virginias are an interesting journey to undertake. I wouldn't be surprised if some people's affinity for them is from having overcome their frustrations along the way.

I am far from an expert Virginia smoker -- the sweetness that others rave about tends to be subtle and fleeting -- but the flavors I get are nice enough to know I like them. As someone who generally likes strong flavors (I'm not a super-taster!) it was a surprise to find myself loading up bowl after bowl of Capstan and neglecting my jarred English blends. It's like being a habitual drinker of strong coffee, but finding yourself craving some iced tea with lemon, and realizing that there's a lot more going on if you take your time and pay attention to it.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great posts. They will encourage me to pay more attention when I am smoking Virginias. Just now I am smoking GH&Co. Irish X and sensing a pleasing range of flavors, subtle but durable down the fairly large chamber full. I do love the robust presence of burley, but I see that Virginia has a quiet nuance that requires focus. Thank you for these concentrated and developed thoughts on Virginias. It encourages me to visit them more often. Other observations to add to the thread are welcome.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I am sure that I don't know.

Two of the worst pipe experiences I've ever had were with straight Virginia. MacB's Virginia #1 wasn't much different than re-smoking an ashtray whilst licking a concrete driveway for an hour, and I found C&D's CRF Small Batch about as interesting as my brother-in-law explaining blockchain.

That said, Green Dragon is easily one of my favorite blends from The Country Squire. They mix air-cured and flue-cured Virginias. It has a spiciness that reminds me both of cloves and white pepper, and the slower I go, the more layers it reveals. My current jar is about 6 months old and I can tell that it's already developing a bit. There's a fullness developing that wasn't present when it was new from the blending table.

@mso489 Thanks for the post. I'm excited to learn too!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the posts suggest that Virginia subtlety means that many smokers smoke more selectively. Favorite Virginia blends may be a little more individual. The McClelland line seems to have been universally popular, but people like different blends best among those too.

Also, I wonder if burley isn't more accommodating to aromatic blends. It can shine through with its tobacco flavor, as long as the smoker likes burley. Although Royal Yacht is a Virginia aromatic blend that has held up well with many (not all) smokers over the years. Or that may be a stretch. Many popular aromatics are Virginia based.

Just grist for conversation.

Reactions: yanoJL

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
Some of the posts suggest that Virginia subtlety means that many smokers smoke more selectively. Favorite Virginia blends may be a little more individual. The McClelland line seems to have been universally popular, but people like different blends best among those too.

Also, I wonder if burley isn't more accommodating to aromatic blends. It can shine through with its tobacco flavor, as long as the smoker likes burley. Although Royal Yacht is a Virginia aromatic blend that has held up well with many (not all) smokers over the years. Or that may be a stretch. Many popular aromatics are Virginia based.

Just grist for conversation.

I found Royal Yacht to be full of tar. Not a pleasant smoke for me. Lots of goop left in the Falcon Humidome afterwards.

Reactions: garageboy