PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Was just curious if others do this same thing. I recently changed jobs and work with a bunch of guys that range in age from 18 to 45 yrs old (I’m 57). Two of them found out that I smoked a pipe and mentioned that they had always wanted to try it! Since I always keep a bunch of new MM cobs for emergencies stashed away, I went ahead and built each of them a starter kit. Gave each a cob, nail tamper, bundle of pipe cleaners and a pouch of Velvet tobacco. I gave them the kits and a few pointers on how to do it. A month has gone by and they both are still into it so far.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
About three weeks ago I gave a 22 yr old six pipes and a couple of pounds of different tobacco blends to try. Said he smokes cigars occasionally. He has smoked one bowl that made him sick. Funny thing is most of the tobacco I gave him to try was light in nicotine:)
That is kinda strange since, most cigars seem to be higher in nicotine. Well, at least the ones that I smoke.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Was just curious if others do this same thing. I recently changed jobs and work with a bunch of guys that range in age from 18 to 45 yrs old (I’m 57). Two of them found out that I smoked a pipe and mentioned that they had always wanted to try it! Since I always keep a bunch of new MM cobs for emergencies stashed away, I went ahead and built each of them a starter kit. Gave each a cob, nail tamper, bundle of pipe cleaners and a pouch of Velvet tobacco. I gave them the kits and a few pointers on how to do it. A month has gone by and they both are still into it so far.
A very nice gesture, indeed.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
What a kind gesture!
(You're going straight to heaven! )

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Just last night a gave a pipe curious friend 2 cobs, pouch each of SWA and Prince Albert, couple ounces BCA, a few pipe nails, bag of pipe cleaners, a zippo with pipe insert, and some zippo fluid. We shared a bowl together and I walked him through the basics. It was nice having a bowl with a friend. We'll see if he sticks with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That was mighty generous. Whether they pick it up as a regular habit or simply try it, it is certainly a worthwhile experience. Velvet is about the mildest blend I know, so you might share a bowl of something just a step up, in case they lose interest in Velvet.

I haven't done this favor for anyone, afraid I might infuriate a spouse or that the offer might make a person indignant. If I thought it would be well received, I'd willingly do it. My wife and I met an older gent at a medical rehab facility, and he was a pipe smoker, but I think his pipes had been spirited away, so I bought him an MM cob and an inexpensive briar so he could smoke his Prince Albert.

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
I joined a local whisky lover group, introduced by a friend of mine 4 years ago. It's a 30 men group. We would met in a bar or a restaurant sharing our whisky. And I was the only one who smoke a pipe.
One day I decided to bring my pipes to the party, 'cause I spent all my money on tobacco and pipes. I told them I can't afford another bottle of whisky. And they told me, "Don't worry. You are the only who smoke pipes in this group. Just keep bringing your pipes to the party, we will cover the whisky part." That's when we discovered the synergy between tobacco and whiskey.
Some of them turn into a cigar smokers. But, I'm still the one who smoke pipes. They say it's too much trouble for smoking a pipe.
We will still hang out every 2 weeks.

671313.jpg
671314.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
We’ll done you 👍

A couple of years ago one of my cigar mates said he wouldn’t mind trying out a pipe

I have more than enough pipes. Enough not to miss a few 😁

I gifted him a few, including a couple that had never been smoked, a couple of estates which I deep cleaned, some tobacco, a pipe-tool and some cleaners

The pay-off - I now have a mate to smoke with every few weeks. He comes over with blends he has discovered, and we enjoy a couple of convivial hours

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I have a couple Biker friends I ride with who like cigars. I gave each one a Cob and a Savinelli seconds brier.

I usually supply them with whatever I'm smoking.

I do believe I'm slowly winning 1 over to pipes, but one has given up and isn't interested in pipes, and only smokes cigars now with us.

Sometime you win one, and sometimes it gets rained out....Go figure...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I did similar with a newer neighbor in my area and he tried the pipe for a couple of times only. He kept saying it was countering his desire to stop smoking cigs...? Contrary to what I've read multiple times here. I tried to share said stories with him but he wouldn't "hear" them.

Odd thing is, he's still on the cigs just like his wife and stepmother. Oh well.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, I do it from time to time. I used to do it more frequently but I’ve found that if they are about 25 and younger, they likely won’t stick with it. I got tired of wasting my tobacco and pipes on people that may only give it (at most) two weeks of their time. Only one person out of all of the people I’ve shared with stuck with it and he still smokes a pipe to this day.