PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
"Cancer warning..."

There are microplastics, industrial chemicals, and carcinogens everywhere - in our water, food, air, and personal products - but let's ignore all of that and worry about tobacco. It has become impossible to completely avoid harmful substances.

We are all screwed. Sooner or later, something will get each one of us. I'm gonna go enjoy my pipe.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I'm pretty sure the DEA and all law enforcement is on the fentanyl issue. I'm not sure how fentanyl is related to tobacco. These are two totally unrelated issues.
There are finite financial resources, material resources, and Human Resources to address issues in society. Additionally, there is only so much mental capacity people can take to focus on topics to address both on the administrative side and the public side. The more you widen your focus in a given genre (this case an umbrella of drugs), the less actual good you'll be able to do.

Also, depending on your state, they aren't really "on" the issue. In my state for example, it is illegal to prosecute drug use if the police are there for a medical call. You can literally be surrounded by drugs and paraphernalia and police can't do anything beyond handing a flyer to get help. They don't even take the drugs!

You can OD on fentanyl, get your nasal spray to get you out of it, decline transport to the hospital after your onsite medical examination and everyone just goes home. You can then do it all over again as soon as you want. To me, it seems to make more sense to allocate more of your finite resources to a more urgent issue than tobacco in the larger scheme of drug control.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Has been posted in threads related to the topic at hand, but worth repeating, the article is crap on the face of it because the data is bad due to a change in collection methodology. Just more ignoring basic ethics principles (transparency) to further stigmatize and fear-monger about the new enemy of the week. A boogyman to fight for people with too much time on their hands and a burning desire to be sanctimonious and self-righteous.

Just like recent bans on flavored and now menthol cigarettes because "but da childrens!", even though the up coming generations think cigarettes are gross and aren't taking up smoking (they're taking up vaping).

There are finite financial resources, material resources, and Human Resources to address issues in society. Additionally, there is only so much mental capacity people can take to focus on topics to address both on the administrative side and the public side. The more you widen your focus in a given genre (this case an umbrella of drugs), the less actual good you'll be able to do.

Also, depending on your state, they aren't really "on" the issue. In my state for example, it is illegal to prosecute drug use if the police are there for a medical call. You can literally be surrounded by drugs and paraphernalia and police can't do anything beyond handing a flyer to get help. They don't even take the drugs!

You can OD on fentanyl, get your nasal spray to get you out of it, decline transport to the hospital after your onsite medical examination and everyone just goes home. You can then do it all over again as soon as you want. To me, it seems to make more sense to allocate more of your finite resources to a more urgent issue than tobacco in the larger scheme of drug control.
As a debate coach, this is called a strawman. You might as well say, "why focus on tobacco issues when there are people dying in car wrecks?" the two issues are totally unrelated, and bringing up the finite issues just obscure your argument. These are handled by two separate agencies. And, tobacco is already regulated with a budget in tact.

But, i am not arguing for laws against tobacco, just making the point that bringing in a totally unrelated issue doesn't help the pro tobacco issues at all. But, as I read through this thread, most people don't have a grasp on how to win this argument.

Anything outside of "my body, I will do as I want with it" is weak.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
As a debate coach, this is called a strawman. You might as well say, "why focus on tobacco issues when there are people dying in car wrecks?" the two issues are totally unrelated, and bringing up the finite issues just obscure your argument. These are handled by two separate agencies. And, tobacco is already regulated with a budget in tact.

But, i am not arguing for laws against tobacco, just making the point that bringing in a totally unrelated issue doesn't help the pro tobacco issues at all. But, as I read through this thread, most people don't have a grasp on how to win this argument.

Anything outside of "my body, I will do as I want with it" is weak.
An argument against car wrecks would be unrelated. However, Tobacco/nicotine products and Fentanyl are both drugs and fall under appropriate drug enforcement agency and legislation so therefor share related resourced holistically as drugs.

An argument against car wrecks would be unrelated. However, Tobacco/nicotine products and Fentanyl are both drugs and fall under appropriate drug enforcement agency and legislation so therefor share related resourced holistically as drugs.
Tobacco falls under the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. It still is a strawman, even if you compared the issues to marijuana, cocaine, or Tylenol.