PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Sounds like they were made by Volkswagen....
This is actually backwards to what Volkswagen was doing.

VW was giving everyone the absolute best performance by skirting regulations, the cars that broke regulations were actually producing less Co2 by being overall more efficient cars.
Emissions regulations make your engine less efficient for the sake of filtering out stinky particulates, so breaking those regulations is a bad thing "if" you live in an area where people care about stinky particulates.

Everyone else in the world is far better off using a car without a catalytic converter.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, to that point what really disturbed me is the performance of my old card that cost half as much:

View attachment 288641

This is a Patriot brand "A1" class card: Amazon.ca - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07S98ZVLZ
Which only guarantees IOPS to 1500 Read and 500 Write, but in the benchmark it has BETTER read speed than the "A2" class Samsung card.
According to the SD card association the "A2" class Samsung card is supposed to hit a minimum 4,000 IOPS read, so by that definition Samsung is actually breaking regulation selling these cards.
I would say it's a defective card but I bought two of them at the same time and they perform identically.
I also performed basic file transfer tests comparing the Samsung cards vs. the competition and practical testing is right in line with the synthetic benchmark.

If the Samsung cards would have performed "on par" with the competition I would have just bit my lip and kept using them, but when the competition is far superior that makes the situation twice as bad.
Is your card reader compatible with the Samsung card?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Our Samsung fridge ices up because there isn't a recirc fan. The compressor is noisy and runs all the time. Makes a noise like a SWAT team responding to a shooting in a boiler factory.
My LEC fridge/freezer sounds as though there's a cat trapped somewhere in the workings. Been like that from new. The engineer said it would settle down but I'm still waiting.....18 years on.

Jay.

Mar 1, 2014
Is your card reader compatible with the Samsung card?
Ultimately, whether or not my card reader is compatible is actually irrelevant because the card is also barely compatible with my mobile device, so the theoretical benchmarks are really a moot point, the card functions poorly in its intended application.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I was never a big Amazon shopper when I lived in the US. However being in a village in France there are so many things I cant find without traveling to a city. Prime here is 60 bucks and I use the streaming platform and the free unlimited cloud storage for photos. Being a photographer that is handy.

Yes, there is a ton of junk on their site. It often looks like aliexpress but there are good items as well. Some are priced well while others are absurd. One has to shop it hard.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ultimately, whether or not my card reader is compatible is actually irrelevant because the card is also barely compatible with my mobile device, so the theoretical benchmarks are really a moot point, the card functions poorly in its intended application.
What mobile device are you referring to? Does it support Micro SD XC? Does your card reader support Micro SD XC (the Samsung card that you bought)? Micro SD XC is not backwards compatible with Micro SD.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
Interesting followup, Amazon says they've verified the cards were genuine and removed my review on their website which speculated the cards were fake, so assuming everything is square then the Samsung cards genuinely do not work correctly in many devices.

And the rabbit hole goes deeper.

"There is a proprietary UHS-I extension, called DDR200, originally created by SanDisk that increases transfer speed further to 170 MB/s. Unlike UHS-II, it does not use additional pins. It achieves this by using the 208 MHz frequency of the standard SDR104 mode, but using DDR transfers.[93][94] This extension has since then been used by Lexar for their 1066x series (160 MB/s), Kingston Canvas Go Plus (170 MB/s) and the MyMemory PRO SD card (180 MB/s)."

"Until now, you needed to use specific card readers available only from SanDisk to achieve these speeds from SanDisk cards, as SanDisk’s proprietary protocol technically fell outside the bounds of the SD specification."

Before just now I had never heard of the DDR200 spec, all the while being a photography enthusiast with high bandwidth UHS-II cards and readers but this, this is just weird, and it's incredibly frustrating that neither Samsung nor any reviews of the Samsung cards say anything about the new proprietary data transfer spec.

So now we know, all UHS-1 devices are limited to 100MB/s Read/Write unless they use the proprietary DDR200 spec, and so buying fancy new "extra fast" cards is entirely pointless unless you can specifically track down devices using the DDR200 protocol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.