PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Hey guys -

I'm new to the forum, and getting back into pipe smoking from about a 15 year hiatus as a relaxing, meditative, and reflective hobby. I've been doing a deep dive on vintage American pipes and have heard all about Kaywoodie. Upon my research, I found out they were still being made, and thought I'd add a 'new' Kaywoodie to my collection as I waited for a vintage one to come my way and have both ends of the spectrum.

I had looked at a nice Brebbia bent billiard on SP and had put it in my cart about 10 times but just couldn't bite the bullet for some reason. Well it sold, and while initially a bit bummed, thought that maybe it was for the best as now I could try to find something from KW.

I had been watching Greywoodie's site (no affiliation) almost every day, and few weeks ago he got in a nice new assortment. I was looking for something I could use for clenching, a little bit lighter and more comfortable than the vintage straight billiards that I've recently acquired. So then I find this little guy. Didn't know what exactly to expect, but it was 1.15 oz and bent...should be a great clencher.

I got it a few days ago and wow...it is awesome! At first it strikes you as way smaller...because it is! At first I was surprised...but now I'm totally jazzed. I'm not a 'huge bowl' smoker, and small/med bowls work just great for me. The sandblasting feels great, and kudos to Nathan (@crashthegrey ) for the kind note and even some candy thrown in (the kids liked that).

IMG_3202.jpg

Size comparison -

IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3200.jpg

The pics aren't great - I'll try to get some in daylight tomorrow.

I've only had the chance to smoke it once, but I just got a good sized tobacco order (for me) and started with some Aged Maduro Cavendish (I believe the same stuff I smoked when I was back in college) and experienced total nostalgia...one of those 'it' moments. Its a dream to clench and hang from the mouth. It will need a few more bowls to break in, but I'm in love. I'm going to keep watching Greywoodie's site for more pipes to come. Would love to pick up one of those natural sandblasted/rusticated (a bent dublin, square shank or six panel is on my list).

Thanks again and GW has earned a customer! You owe it to yourself to check out this site if you have not yet (greywoodie.com). I hope he gets in another order soon as I like checking the site about every other day to see the new stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been impressed with new Kaywoodie pipes. The workmanship is high quality as are the materials. Pipes in the Saxon series have relatively thin chamber walls, yet they insulate as well as much thicker walled pipes, and that keeps the weight down for clenching, yet they are durable pipes, not fragile. You do have to watch the retail sites to catch the inventory when it arrives. It seems the actual manufacturing of Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole, and Medico is nearly a one-man operation, though I assume he has some assistants, so the re-supply is slow but steady. Kaywoodie in the 1950's used to be the premier pipe before the Dunhill, and perhaps in many ways it still compares very well. Then Dunhill/White Spot did some genius status marketing, and now a medium size pipe generally costs about $800 new. A Saxon can be bought new for about $45.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sorry, don’t mean to go off topic here.

I never thought Kaywoodie prices had higher price tags on them, like what I am seeing here.

I was really surprised when I saw this pipe for $170, I would of thought a pipe like this sells for no more than $90-$100.

And then these hand made ones listed for $225-$250 OUCH.. :(

Really seriously these prices for Kaywoodie... hmm ?

I didn’t even think for an exquisite Estate Kaywoodie, you’d even pay these prices.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Well when I looked at their site and pipes, nothing is listed in these ranges.

$70 is the highest price listed.

Not sure why all the pipe models aren’t listed, at least my understanding this isn’t all of them... hmm ?

I know there are these hand made ones, that command more.

WV with more too;

I don’t know, some of these prices seems way to expensive. ?

I’d rather go to a custom carver and commission something, or buy one of Walt Cannoy’s Cardinal House pipes, which I did recently buy, that I truly believe Kaywoodie can’t beat the quality for price.

Last edited:

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Sorry, don’t mean to go off topic here.

I never thought Kaywoodie prices had higher price tags on them, like what I am seeing here.

I was really surprised when I saw this pipe for $170, I would of thought a pipe like this sells for no more than $90-$100.

And then these hand made ones listed for $225-$250 OUCH.. :(

Really seriously these prices for Kaywoodie... hmm ?

I didn’t even think for an exquisite Estate Kaywoodie, you’d even pay these prices.

My man, pipemaking is totally not worth it. I mean, I hear you. Those pipes at those pricepoints don't necessarily call my name, but 150 pipes a year @ say $300/pipe for a custom maker is $45k a year before expenses. Feuerback found a way to get $40 pipes out the door, so if he offers $100-$300 pipes w/ a little more finesse, for all I know maybe those help to offset the low pricepoint of the regular pipes and give him a little more jangle in his pocket to keep doing what he loves. It really has to be a labor of love. Its cool that he is keeping the Kaywoodie name/brand alive and if an occasional $300 is bought here and there, more power to him.

Like you, those pipes don't speak to me either, but I'm happy he offers something different. Perhaps Kaywoodie collectors will find them an intriguing part of the Kaywoodie story one day.

Personally I'd love to see if he might be open to custom options at a slightly higher pricepoint. For example, for an extra $20 or so, I'd love to get one of those pipes (say a natural sandblast) with a tortoiseshell colored bit. Maybe instead of just offering what he offers, maybe there is a middle ground for some custom options. Who knows!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I met Nathan, crashthegrey here on the forum, at the last Chicago Pipe Show. My pipe purchasing funds were pretty much tapped out when I met him. Knowing he was on the forum, I purchased a Medico Cavalier from him just to support another forum member. Went home with empty pockets.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️