PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Here's my favorite out the 6 cobs I own. A patent era Dunhill cob. No, Dunhill did not make this pipe, I made it from an old Dunhill that had a totally burned out and broken bowl.

I know that some of you here have seen this pipe before, but I figured it belonged on this thread. I gotta say, this is one of the nicest smoking pipes I've got whether it's a MM cob or a Dunhill. Best of both worlds, great smoking bowl and a great stem/button.
I know this is an ancient post but I gotta say that is brilliant! What a great way to upgrade a cob and save a bit of a legend.

The aesthetics of the cob are never as sexy as the briars, bit I think it's really the shank and stem that lets it down. They look so plebeian. What you did there would be a great use of old Medicos and Grabows, the kind of things I see at estate sales all the time where the bowl is hammered but everything else is decent. It would hold a filter, too!

Great stuff!

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
While ordering a few tins recently, I also perused the pipes, as is the proper thing to do.
I haven't bought a pipe in a long time and liked the look of the new HoneyPot Cobs so...
View attachment 219626
View attachment 219627

I'm no where near the usual quality of photos that others take, but these will do.
I have two of these and I think they're a great pipe. Hope you it serves you well.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
KIMG0125.JPGCouple of my franken-cobs. In weird lighting, apparently. I like the Danish 6mil stems but they make the pipes really long. So I chopped em. Someone earlier in the thread was talking about the mushy cob core under the sticker; I also considered gluing a coin or somesuch to the bottom but with these two I went with a couple variations of pipe mudding. The one in back I tried CaneRod Piper's method of drilling and filling the base. The one in front, I pulled the shank and reset it at the opposite rake. Now its an Angel Anse. I used a dropper to put thinned out honey under and around the bore tenon and mashed in some really thin mud to attempt forming a cake only at the base of the bowl. My hope is that the thick cake down there will insulate and protect the foot. First one looks cool but is kind of meh and tastes a little gross. Might knock out the mud and try again, it's kind of crumbly and I think I got too much of the mud on the walls of the furnace, negating s cob's critical feature. The one in front I just did last night and the honey was dry enough to smoke this morning. Probably should have waited a lot longer but i ended up packing it twice today while working outside and it's smoking nicely. Great little clencher. Going to keep mangling these things until they dance for me.

Last edited:

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
First one looks cool but is kind of meh and tastes a little gross. Might knock out the mud and try again, it's kind of crumbly and I think I got too much of the mud on the walls of the furnace, negating s cob's critical feature.
I've used Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty with great success. It's just Plaster of Paris with a different name. It works really well to fill in the bottom of cobs. I've used it for a Country Gent, a Mark Twain and a Diplomat.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
While ordering a few tins recently, I also perused the pipes, as is the proper thing to do.
I haven't bought a pipe in a long time and liked the look of the new HoneyPot Cobs so...
View attachment 219626
View attachment 219627

I'm no where near the usual quality of photos that others take, but these will do.
wow it's amazing how much you look like a young stephen fry.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I've used Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty with great success. It's just Plaster of Paris with a different name. It works really well to fill in the bottom of cobs. I've used it for a Country Gent, a Mark Twain and a Diplomat.
I was recently trying to decide whether or not I considered this non-toxic enough for that very purpose. The MSDS calls it non-hazardous so it should be fine.. thanks for reminding me, going to give it a shot soon.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I was recently trying to decide whether or not I considered this non-toxic enough for that very purpose. The MSDS calls it non-hazardous so it should be fine.. thanks for reminding me, going to give it a shot soon.
Yes, I went through the same process. CaneRodPiper made a follow up video about how he is using Plaster of Paris now. There doesn't seem to be anything else in Durham's that would cause problems.

Can't be any worse than what happens when you scorch the birch shank. Man, that about killed me!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
View attachment 252968

My favourite morning combo: PP in a MM Legend with Ovaltine coffee.
The Legend is my favorite cob. Mine came with a hardwood plug in the bottom of the chamber. I tried for years to find another one just like it, but only found the "Washingtons" with the hard wood plug like mine. I had one like that as well but didn't like it as much as my Legend. I emailed MM one day asking about how to get one, and the nice lady simply replied, " I have no idea, the Legends don't come with a hardwood plug". :ROFLMAO:

So I guess mine is extremely rare! 🤑

• Wow
Reactions: Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
The Legend is my favorite cob. Mine came with a hardwood plug in the bottom of the chamber. I tried for years to find another one just like it, but only found the "Washingtons" with the hard wood plug like mine. I had one like that as well but didn't like it as much as my Legend. I emailed MM one day asking about how to get one, and the nice lady simply replied, " I have no idea, the Legends don't come with a hardwood plug". :ROFLMAO:

So I guess mine is extremely rare! 🤑
Where'd you find a Washington with a plug? None of my 6 Washingtons have one, but I'd love to have a few with plugs. Maybe I'll mod them one day if the bottoms get too eroded.