PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I’ve seen a few other NO STARS lately and have wondered about this. My thouyare that these are third generation Lees and the stars have been polished off - they are either painted on or lightly presses on - third generation lacked the physical stars. Or, these are indeed replacement stems. The pipe also looks a bit over reamed. Other than that, it is a nice lo piece. In the information section, the seller stated not to use alcohol to remove the finish. Better not tell our friend.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
That’s about 2x the going rate according to @briar Lee’s previous posts 🤔

Perhaps the prices have risen because of increased recent interest

I’d hold out for the ones with the 7point inlaid brass stars 😏
There was an attorney who was practically giving them away. It helps to have friends in virtual places.

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Perhaps you can PM him
I’m sure he won’t miss one or two from his large stash

In all probability he has several of the same model
And might be happy to spread the love

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve seen a few other NO STARS lately and have wondered about this. My thouyare that these are third generation Lees and the stars have been polished off - they are either painted on or lightly presses on - third generation lacked the physical stars. Or, these are indeed replacement stems. The pipe also looks a bit over reamed. Other than that, it is a nice lo piece. In the information section, the seller stated not to use alcohol to remove the finish. Better not tell our friend.

I own over a hundred of those, and that one is a first run stamped star.

One day sometime in the fifties, at the peak height of Lee quality, the company quit inlaying jeweler’s gold five pointed stars, and instead stamped the stars and filled them with gold foil.

Such a pipe often is absolutely gorgeous, as good as a Lee got, just with those K Mart grade stamped stars.

That one has been professionally polished. A factory Lee of that era was almost matte. The stars might be visible as ghosts if you examine it close.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

I own over a hundred of those, and that one is a first run stamped star.

One day sometime in the fifties, at the peak height of Lee quality, the company quit inlaying jeweler’s gold five pointed stars, and instead stamped the stars and filled them with gold foil.

Such a pipe often is absolutely gorgeous, as good as a Lee got, just with those K Mart grade stamped stars.

That one has been professionally polished. A factory Lee of that era was almost matte, a high dollar, beautful thing that glowed instead of shone. You can use Everclear without fear on factory finish Lees and they love olive oil, or better, grapeseed oil.

The stars might be visible as ghosts if you examine it close.

That’s a large saddle stemmed apple. Lees were like Kaywoodies in most were machine fraised then hand finished.

If you could see the stars there might only be two.

Sometime in the five pointed star era production Lee raised prices to five dollars a star, I read somewhere.

The 5 pointed star Two Stars have better grain and the Three Stars are just fantastic. When the stamped stars came out the quality doesn’t seem to decline until the hidden screw stem was abandoned in favor of a Briarlee style disc mortise.

Then at the end a Lee was push stem with a nylon stem, and lightly varnished. They always smoked well, until the last.

Query.

I can’t imagine Lee selling custom order Four Stars and Five Stars with stamped stars. I’ve never seen one above three star grade.

Did Four and Five Star grades keep inlaid gold stars? Did Lee give up on high grades?

A 7 point Three Star Saddle Stem Apple

Attachments

• IMG_6972.jpeg
    IMG_6972.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

telescopes

That’s about 2x the going rate according to @briar Lee’s previous posts 🤔

Perhaps the prices have risen because of increased recent interest

I’d hold out for the ones with the 7point inlaid brass stars 😏
A Pipe by Lee that is in top shape, no charring, good grain, and with 3 or more inset stars, and brought back to “like new” condition should be valued at around $60. These are exceedingly difficult to find now. Most pipes have had the finish ripped off them, abused by charring, and the stems mangled in some manner. I have a few Pipes by Lee that are keepers. The sheen on the finish is magnificent- nothing dull or matte about them. The grain is top knotch and the stems are high quality vulcanite That is a rich deep black. I wouldn’t sell them for under a hundred each. Unfortunately, many of the Pipes by Lee have been spoiled by hard use, the finishes purposely dulled, and exposed to other types of neglect Such as setting for years in a tool shed or other such structure. You couldn’t give them away.

Reactions: Parsimonious Piper

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A Pipe by Lee that is in top shape, no charring, good grain, and with 3 or more inset stars, and brought back to “like new” condition should be valued at around $60. These are exceedingly difficult to find now. Most pipes have had the finish ripped off them, abused by charring, and the stems mangled in some manner. I have a few Pipes by Lee that are keepers. The sheen on the finish is magnificent- nothing dull or matte about them. The grain is top knotch and the stems are high quality vulcanite That is a rich deep black. I wouldn’t sell them for under a hundred each. Unfortunately, many of the Pipes by Lee have been spoiled by hard use, the finishes purposely dulled, and exposed to other types of neglect Such as setting for years in a tool shed or other such structure. You couldn’t give them away.

Here’s a high condition, original finish Lee Three Star Large Apple Saddle Stem for comparison:

IMG_6975.jpegIMG_6974.jpeg

That pipe is from 1946-50(?) and sold retail for ten bucks, and it looks expensive.

There aren’t any flaws or fills and the finish isn’t crude nor does it shine like a cheap suit. It glows, with quality.

My mystery is how did Lee perfect his curing process.

They do have a sweet taste when breaking in, exactly as advertised,

telescopes

Here’s a high condition, original finish Lee Three Star Large Apple Saddle Stem for comparison:

View attachment 284317View attachment 284318

That pipe is from 1946-50(?) and sold retail for ten bucks, and it looks expensive.

There aren’t any flaws or fills and the finish isn’t crude nor does it shine like a cheap suit. It glows, with quality.

My mystery is how did Lee perfect his curing process.

They do have a sweet taste when breaking in, exactly as advertised,
The Lees I have that are from the early era of Lee have a very high polished sheen with some depth to the finish. The one above looks old, aged, and worn. My Kaywoodies from the era before that still look like they might just have been bought and have a rich sheen. IMG_8119.jpegIMG_8118.jpeg

You can clearly see the difference in the finish. I have two other Pipes by Lee the are similar. These have not had the finish tampered with or removed nor have they been waxed or fiddled with in anyway.

telescopes

@Briar Lee you have quite the collection, but I must disagree with you in terms of what you refer to as high condition. When I look at many of the Lees that Parsimonious Piper showcases, his are more in line with what I have. A rich deep shine that showcases deep grain and has a depth to the finish. Frankly, I would be disappointed if I were to receive a pipe that was stated has having being in a high quality condition and it looked like the one you posted - although I am sure it is a quality smoker.

Reactions: Parsimonious Piper

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee you have quite the collection, but I must disagree with you in terms of what you refer to as high condition. When I look at many of the Lees that Parsimonious Piper showcases, his are more in line with what I have. A rich deep shine that showcases deep grain and has a depth to the finish. Frankly, I would be disappointed if I were to receive a pipe that was stated has having being in a high quality condition and it looked like the one you posted - although I am sure it is a quality smoker.

Your pipes are meticulously kept and mine are sadly neglected.

I looked again at my Lee Apple and gave it a spit bath with a paper towel.

IMG_6979.jpegIMG_6980.jpegIMG_6978.jpegIMG_6977.jpeg

A Lee can be waxed, oiled, or polished with nose grease.

There’s really no wear on this one.

I just smoke the hell out of it.:)

telescopes

Your pipes are meticulously kept and mine are sadly neglected.

I looked again at my Lee Apple and gave it a spit bath with a paper towel.

View attachment 284353View attachment 284354View attachment 284355View attachment 284356

A Lee can be waxed, oiled, or polished with nose grease.

There’s really no wear on this one.

I just smoke the hell out of it.:)
You have some great pipes, no doubt. I believe one issue why they loose their initial shine is that the "varnish" as you refer to it is removed with steel wool and replaced by various oils. The oils will never maintain a deep sheen. At best, they will bring a uniformity of color but at the price of bring a dull matte finish. Whatever shine they have will be temporary until the oils dry. The Lees that I keep all have a rich beautiful luster that could be mistaken for a varnish. In reality, it is because the stain that was originally applied to the pipes hasn't been scrubbed off. Regardless, I believe most Lees probably did have a nice sheen when they were made but that over time it was worn off either by purpose or neglect.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You have some great pipes, no doubt. I believe on issue on why they loose their initial shine is that the "varnish" as you refer to it is removed with steel wool and replaced by various oils. The oils will never maintain a deep sheen. At best, they will bring a uniformity of color but at the price of bring a dull matte finish. Whatever shine they have will be temporary until the oils dry. The Lees that I keep all have a rich beautiful luster that could be mistaken for a varnish. In reality, it is because the stain that was originally applied to the pipes hasn't been scrubbed off. Regardless, I believe most Lees probably did have a nice sheen when they were made but that over time it was worn off either by purpose or neglect.

A very large per cent of my Lees were barely smoked, as new.

None of those ever see steel wool. Steel wool is used only on the tired ones.

About eighty to ninety per cent are Three Stars, with 5 point Two Stars rounding out the rest except for a 5 point Five Star and a 7 point Four Star.

Lees had a hard finsh that resists seasoning, unlike Marxmans. But they will season a little.

But I really don’t own one Lee that competes with any Pre War Kaywoodie Flame Grain for sheer grain figure quality.

I envy the pretty Lees you and Parsimonious Piper have.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I blame the people here for making me buy a pipe that I never would have thought of buying otherwise. I’m in Japan and this is the first time I’ve seen this on auction here and I had to get it. View attachment 290713View attachment 290715View attachment 290716

See those gold 7 point stars?

IMG_7186.jpeg

That medium slim Dublin Three Star grade Lee was made from 1946-1950(?).

A toothbrush and toothpaste, jewelry cleaner, or steel wool, maybe just a paper towel and elbow grease will shine those stars up to new. They are low carat “jeweler’s gold”.

Enjoy.

They are addictive.:)

• Love
Reactions: milk

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
See those gold 7 point stars?

View attachment 290730

That medium slim Dublin Three Star grade Lee was made from 1946-1950(?).

A toothbrush and toothpaste, jewelry cleaner, or steel wool, maybe just a paper towel and elbow grease will shine those stars up to new. They are low carat “jeweler’s gold”.

Enjoy.

They are addictive.:)
As Johnny (never?) said, “I did not know that.” I forgot to say thank you for encouraging me to purchase this one. How small is this club?

Reactions: Briar Lee