PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I've got 3 of the 4ABs. They are standout smokers. Unfortunately, I missed out on all of the higher grade finishes, so mine are a Heritage which I've removed all of the excess stain from, a sandblast, and a rusticated.
That’s really interesting. Can you show us how that heritage turned out? And what were your thoughts that led you to take down the stain in the first place?

Reactions: Nevaditude

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
From my local antique store, I found a beautiful briar root "Capri" Savinelli pipe (624). It's my favorite pipe so far, handling perfectly for a cool and tasty smoke. However, for my birthday, I'm thinking of a rusticated Peterson Pub. Never piped a Peterson system, yet.

What are your thoughts? What might I expect?

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
My 102 Short Army is my only Pete, and has quickly made made me a huge fan of both the P-lip and the army mount.
While I doubt I’ll be able to afford them for a while, I’ve got a couple questions to get my obsession rolling along properly:

-Were the 1995 “Antique Collection” pipes sold individually or just as a set? If the former, what price range would an A2 or A1 go for now (1905 Army P-lip billiard and 1910 straight bulldog army p-lip styles, respectively) if and when one could be found?

-what is the hallmark for 1967? Someday I’ll be needing a birth year pipe….

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
My 102 Short Army is my only Pete, and has quickly made made me a huge fan of both the P-lip and the army mount.
While I doubt I’ll be able to afford them for a while, I’ve got a couple questions to get my obsession rolling along properly:

-Were the 1995 “Antique Collection” pipes sold individually or just as a set? If the former, what price range would an A2 or A1 go for now (1905 Army P-lip billiard and 1910 straight bulldog army p-lip styles, respectively) if and when one could be found?

-what is the hallmark for 1967? Someday I’ll be needing a birth year pipe….
They restarted the hallmarks in 1968 so you won’t find anything hallmarked from 1967 (maybe a blessing and a curse).

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
That’s really interesting. Can you show us how that heritage turned out? And what were your thoughts that led you to take down the stain in the first place?
First off, it's not something I'm recommending. I'm sure that they use pipes with marginal briar for that finish, since it's basically opaque at the level that it is applied. You probably won't know what's below. I think I got lucky.

What happened was that I was frustrated at the dull finish, even after waxing on the buffer. So, I decided to buff it with a bit of rouge. It wasn't long before I realized that I'd gotten too aggressive and had thinned out the stain and that now the pipe was blotchy. So, with nothing to lose, I went ahead and aggressively removed all the excess that I could with a combination of buffing and wiping with alcohol. I actually ended up with a fairly classic-looking finish and no obvious fills.

original_a79a291f-1bb8-496e-aaf5-8372a3da2da6_PXL_20211203_173928995-1.jpg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
First off, it's not something I'm recommending. I'm sure that they use pipes with marginal briar for that finish, since it's basically opaque at the level that it is applied. You probably won't know what's below. I think I got lucky.

What happened was that I was frustrated at the dull finish, even after waxing on the buffer. So, I decided to buff it with a bit of rouge. It wasn't long before I realized that I'd gotten too aggressive and had thinned out the stain and that now the pipe was blotchy. So, with nothing to lose, I went ahead and aggressively removed all the excess that I could with a combination of buffing and wiping with alcohol. I actually ended up with a fairly classic-looking finish and no obvious fills.

View attachment 250086
Thanks for sharing! That’s an interesting finish! It’s like the dark stain with a hint of red; not sure if that was because of your buffing. I do wish the heritage was a glossier (but not necessarily gloss) finish.

Also, are dark smooths getting the boot?

Reactions: Nevaditude

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Far prefer the dark smooth finish over the heritage.
Same! But it seems like the Dark Smooth finish was replaced by Terracotta in this year’s POTY. I like the Dark Smooth better than the Terracotta so I was worried that it might be taking the DS’s place.