PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Usually hot water and little wads of paper towel. Scrunch up into a little ball, get hot water on it (not soaking or dripping), twist in the bowl a couple of times and repeat. I’ve used sandpaper sparingly for stain if there is a little at the top of the bowl, and if there is a bit of stubborn coating, but the paper towels usually do the trick. When they come out white instead of black you’re done!
That's exactly what I do. I just did it to this Peterson Emerald 104. Just wet paper towels until it's clean. Now I'm smoking some Erinmore Flake.
IMG_20220826_190610.jpg

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Usually hot water and little wads of paper towel. Scrunch up into a little ball, get hot water on it (not soaking or dripping), twist in the bowl a couple of times and repeat. I’ve used sandpaper sparingly for stain if there is a little at the top of the bowl, and if there is a bit of stubborn coating, but the paper towels usually do the trick. When they come out white instead of black you’re done!
That sounds easier than I’d previously thought, thanks! I’ll have to give it a try.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
That's exactly what I do. I just did it to this Peterson Emerald 104. Just wet paper towels until it's clean. Now I'm smoking some Erinmore Flake.
View attachment 165299
That’s a beautiful pipe and a beautiful yard at golden hour.

I’m curious—do you happen to own a Peterson 15 or 102 as well? And if so, how do they compare in size to your new 104?

I own and love the 15 and 102 shapes for clenching. I’ve seen those 104 models listed with a description noting that its size is closest to the 102, and I’ve wondered if it’s smaller or bigger.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
That’s a beautiful pipe and a beautiful yard at golden hour.

I’m curious—do you happen to own a Peterson 15 or 102 as well? And if so, how do they compare in size to your new 104?

I own and love the 15 and 102 shapes for clenching. I’ve seen those 104 models listed with a description noting that its size is closest to the 102, and I’ve wondered if it’s smaller or bigger.
Thanks.

No, I do not have a 15 or a 102. Sorry, I can't give a comparison.

Reactions: briarfoxx

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
My first Peterson: the Irish Harp 150 Fishtail Bulldog.
Loaded up with some Embarcadero that I just stuffed in a few hours ago to dry out while I was busy. Really just got it because of the neat Sherlock tamper that came along with the little SP special that they're running. Been wanting a Peterson, now I have one. Slainte!
20220829_145131.jpg

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Second of the recent 68s on maiden voyage. Arklow No. 68. I like every Peterson I own, all have their strong points, but with the second No. 68 in hand and in use, I’m very close to believing I’ve really found my favorite, most natural feeling shape. View attachment 166381
I love that smooth rim contrasting with the sandblast. Enjoy!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Got gifted a couple of lovely Peterson’s from my mate on the south coast @Birddog66 . An older Donegal Rocky bulldog & a system 312. The bulldog has already established itself as a new favourite.
View attachment 169185
Also got another Peterson, a gift to & from myself this time. A 20s with a replacement vulcanite stem.
View attachment 169186
I love that older style Peterson rustication. I’m a fan of the new style as well when done in a visually organic way, but that old pebble style just looks so natural.

I like your background too!

I’m a big 20s fan. Where did you get the B style tapered replacement stem? Very cool.