PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Mine was a silver band 302 I bought in the Dublin shop in 1988.
The next year I bought a low-end 314 in a drugstore in Derry.
My second I bought was in December 14 2023 is a 5s 125th anniverssary Deluxe System Ebony pipe. Numbered 42/150. I've only smoked it a handful of times but am so in love with that shape.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Any photos of that 302?
Like a dumbass, I sold it when I went through a non-smoking period around eight years ago. I'll see if there is a photo on my other computer. I am almost certain it was a Premier. Back then $75 was a lot of money for me to spend on a pipe, so I remember well looking at every pipe in the shop before deciding on the 302. The Derry pipe was an easier decision - I didn't have a pipe with me and all their pipes were cheap Petes at ~$15 each.

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Like a dumbass, I sold it when I went through a non-smoking period around eight years ago. I'll see if there is a photo on my other computer. I am almost certain it was a Premier. Back then $75 was a lot of money for me to spend on a pipe, so I remember well looking at every pipe in the shop before deciding on the 302. The Derry pipe was an easier decision - I didn't have a pipe with me and all their pipes were cheap Petes at ~$15 each.
I was a bit sticker shocked looking at prices in Dublin. My first pipe is a churchwarden I paid 80 bucks for and though that was alot of money. Now I don't blink at 300+ for a Pete as I understand the value of them.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I was a bit sticker shocked looking at prices in Dublin. My first pipe is a churchwarden I paid 80 bucks for and though that was alot of money. Now I don't blink at 300+ for a Pete as I understand the value of them.

My Pete 302 was the first good pipe I owned. Before that I had been smoking a nice Bari that I still have, which cost me $25-30. I went to the Dublin shop planning on spending whatever I needed to to get a beautiful pipe. The 302 looked like what I had seen the Irish smoking, but it turned out to not be a great shape for me. It's the only Peterson apple I've ever owned.

Reactions: revnatorade

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Wait... so you've only been at the Pete game since last November? My friend you are a Peterson PAD machine (and I main that as high praise)!
Yep and thank you. I knew of the brand from previous trips to Dublin then I bought the first one in November 23, spoke to the people at the shop while purchasing, then went back Homa dn discovered Peterson Pipe notes. Then it's all been downhill. I've got well over 100 Pete's. SO yes, I've got a problem. Lol

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Yep and thank you. I knew of the brand from previous trips to Dublin then I bought the first one in November 23, spoke to the people at the shop while purchasing, then went back Homa dn discovered Peterson Pipe notes. Then it's all been downhill. I've got well over 100 Pete's. SO yes, I've got a problem. Lol
That's serious Pete PAD!!!

I now own every Pete I've ever looked for, other than a 1930's 4AB and a hallmarked meer figural. I would say I'm done buying old Petersons, but then this 307 Eire came up and the other bidders weren't willing to pay what it was worth! :ROFLMAO: What's a Geek gonna do?

Kls3rA5.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Ah dang that's stinks. I did something similar with my first pipe but was able to get it back. Almost did the same thing with my first Pete but came to my senses.

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
That's serious Pete PAD!!!

I now own every Pete I've ever looked for, other than a 1930's 4AB and a hallmarked meer figural. I would say I'm done buying old Petersons, but then this 307 Eire came up and the other bidders weren't willing to pay what it was worth! :ROFLMAO: What's a Geek gonna do?

Kls3rA5.jpeg
That's where I'm at right now. I've read the Irwin book which gave me a shopping list. Lol. Now I'm hunting the ones I want and ignoring the others that pop up. There are a few shapes I'm in love with and thats what I hunt minus the older ones or special releases

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
So here's a question. What was your first Pete and when did you buy it it? Mine was an Aran 03 I bought in the Peterson Dublin shop November 18th 2023. View attachment 308716
Mine was a 301 standard back in 2017. Bought it from a flea market in Madrid for €3. Cleaned it up but no matter what I did the crappy stem would reoxidise as soon as look at it. Most pipes like that I sell on, but I decided to try and acrylic stem from the Danish Pipe Shop which didn't quite fit, but I rammed it in anyway (ooh matron) and still have it, and occasionally smoke it, now.17151978416267610425698537114124.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
That's where I'm at right now. I've read the Irwin book which gave me a shopping list. Lol. Now I'm hunting the ones I want and ignoring the others that pop up. There are a few shapes I'm in love with and thats what I hunt minus the older ones or special releases
Yeah that's what I did and I found it helped to not get distracted buying every pretty Pete that pops up since there are so many of them. But that's also to say that it didn't completely solve the issue...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
For at least the last year, maybe more, I've only bought Petes. And most of them I love. But I'm really not trying to be a collector and am just about ready to eliminate the ones that don't perform the way I prefer and prioritize function over beauty & variety. Meaning I'm considering selling / trading several models and buying / keeping only the actual performers.

For example, I like the look of 312's, but they don't hang quite right for me. A 314, 305 or 9BC simply provides an extra level of contentment because of the angles against my face. I'm just not sure if I'll regret it in the future. It seems like such a practical choice at the moment, yet there's a bit of hesitation.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
To the best of my recollection, my first Pete Was an Aran 68 Irish Army from The Owl Shop in Worcester, Ma. from the guy who made the pipes there, after he gave me a tour of his workshop and an explanation of how pipes are made and what to look for as a carver, when I was a senior in high school. He told me he liked the briar and grain of the particular 68 I picked out and that one would have been his choice as well.
It has birdseye on both side and cross grain front, under and up the underside of shank.
Then over the years a Kapmeer, Donegal Rocky 999, a Meerschaum straight Billiard, An Erica Second XXL hand made (mostly straight grain), an Erica Second 302 (Swirl grain pattern), an Irish Second Xl339S straight grain), and lastly/recently a Peterson Sandblast Pub Pipe #1 Second. The best are the Pub and the XXL Hand Made second but I prefer larger pipes.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
So here's a question. What was your first Pete and when did you buy it it? Mine was an Aran 03 I bought in the Peterson Dublin shop November 18th 2023.
Mine was a 2012 St Patrick's Day 80s - I was too afraid to smoke it in fear of ruining it (It was the first over $60 pipe I ever bought. Ended up selling it to fund my first System Standard (Which I later sold to fund my first 11s Deluxe which I still have) It all works out in the end