PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I think some of the 'pete geeks' sometimes forget how crap some of their pipes were....

(Although that's true of any marque).
I've been lucky then; I've never bought a bad Pete or Savinelli. I have smoked some of mine badly however before I knew what I was doing and learning about shapes and sizes and sipping. I have had other brands I found to be less desirable to smoke (to be polite ;)).

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Couldn't resist this 'Great Explorers' Scott:

ck2Z7kE.jpeg

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
So here's a question. What was your first Pete and when did you buy it it? Mine was an Aran 03 I bought in the Peterson Dublin shop November 18th 2023.
82s
About 4 years ago. One of my earlier pipe acquisitions in the overall scheme of things. I didn't even know it was a Peterson in the beginning - it was just another pipe in a shape I liked. I would prefer a P-lip but it got me on the path. My 2nd was likely a 314.

1715282148081.png

1715282166331.png

1715282196355.png

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
What's your opinion on the random rustication they place on those?
A) It was likely a flaw that needed covering
B) I don't mind it personally, I think it was a secondary line. Price was probably reasonable.
C) I often prefer a little texture under the fingers
D) I don't expect it on higher grade / costlier pipes

Reactions: revnatorade

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Found these unsmoked beauties.
I show up from time to time. There's two on eBay right now and this one ended recently. I've got one with a silver band and a custom tapered, acrylic stem.
I see that one has no rustication so mine is even more of a 2nds line...
I won't buy more though - I'm really that enamored with the P-lip that I don't intend to purchase anything else for now.

Reactions: revnatorade

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here are some Peterson 8's (313) - perfect size for a short, but not too short, smoke.

Top-left is a 1902 meer that is not quite an 8, but it's the best I can do. Top-right is a 'Hand Cut' (Larrigan) blasted 8S with the Larrigan stem bend. Bottom left is a 313 'Special' which doesn't have the right stem bend, making me think Larrigan did not make this one, even though he was usually involved in special runs. Bottom right is a clay 8. A bent 8 morta would definitely be a holy grail pipe, but we don't even know that Peterson sold any bent mortas.

fFexz9l.jpeg

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Here are some Peterson 8's (313) - perfect size for a short, but not too short, smoke.

Top-left is a 1902 meer that is not quite an 8, but it's the best I can do. Top-right is a 'Hand Cut' (Larrigan) blasted 8S with the Larrigan stem bend. Bottom left is a 313 'Special' which doesn't have the right stem bend, making me think Larrigan did not make this one, even though he was usually involved in special runs. Bottom right is a clay 8. A bent 8 morta would definitely be a holy grail pipe, but we don't even know that Peterson sold any bent mortas.

fFexz9l.jpeg
My word... That meer is astonishing.

Reactions: AroEnglish

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida

fFexz9l.jpeg
Gorgeous

Reactions: AroEnglish