PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This is my first Tom Howard and likely will not be my last.

Howard was a comedian who made pipes in a one man shop in the forties.

These were made mostly as a labor of love by Howard. He was a skilled pipe maker and this copy of a very large Marxman Benchmade is perfectly done and an incredibly great smoker.

I can’t tell if Howard helped this one along by stain or it’s assumed the reddish brown color a Marxman gets after considerable smoking.

IMG_5979.jpegIMG_5980.jpegIMG_5981.jpegIMG_5982.jpegIMG_5983.jpeg

I’ve read where it took Howard several hours to make each pipe.

This pipe is more highly polished than a Benchmade “Big Boy” and the carving is artistic and well done, with no putty or pits I can see.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
This is my first Tom Howard and likely will not be my last.

Howard was a comedian who made pipes in a one man shop in the forties.

These were made mostly as a labor of love by Howard. He was a skilled pipe maker and this copy of a very large Marxman Benchmade is perfectly done and an incredibly great smoker.

I can’t tell if Howard helped this one along by stain or it’s assumed the reddish brown color a Marxman gets after considerable smoking.

View attachment 268034View attachment 268035View attachment 268036View attachment 268037View attachment 268038

I’ve read where it took Howard several hours to make each pipe.

This pipe is more highly polished than a Benchmade “Big Boy” and the carving is artistic and well done, with no putty or pits I can see.
Somehow I missed this post. Nice pipe! I’m really looking for a Howard. There’s a great Bullmoose on Etsy but it doesn’t ship to Japan. Curious, does the “Eric” person who makes these videos post on this site? He also made a video about Custombilt. I haven’t looked to see if he’s made one on Marxman. I like his videos.

Reactions: Briar Lee