Show us the Pipe that Started Your Smoking Adventure!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wulf

Lurker
Dec 21, 2022
Saltburn, North Yorkshire, England
Unfortuately my first pipe..a corncob is list to the fog of time. This is my only pipe at the moment, had it 18 yrs and its still going strong. The copper and brass are pipe olives, and they are on the pipe itself the copper pipe is a sleeve over a wooden piece,then a snort bit of brass tubing with a round wooden mouthpiece. It was a very cheap pipe when new, but smokes really nicely. I had a dunhill given and passed it on to a friend as this cheap briar smoked better...go figure. I would love a lee van cleef meerschaum..but they cost a bit much...and if you drop it...

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_225527.jpg
    IMG_20221221_225527.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: JOHN72 and romaso
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here are my first two, a Dr Grabow Omega and a Missouri Meerschaum cob purchased during my first year of college, about 23 years ago:

first_pipes.jpg

They've both been through a lot of smoking and other adventures. The original stem of the Dr Grabow snapped off during a camping trip, so I had to find a way to extract the remainder, then I bought another of the model from eBay to donate its stem. (Buying a brand-new one for the stem would have been weird.)

I'm amazed that the cob has held up this long. It has seen lots of outdoor smoking, and a few drops without breaking. The bowl is much bigger than my other cobs, but I think it started out bigger than average rather than swelling this much. Can't remember. I've applied wood glue here and there to shore up surface cracks. Just like a real meerschaum, the stem is coloring from tar soaking through, while the bowl's darkening is mostly from grunge on the outside. puffy

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Had this pipe for about 30 years (Savinelli 606). Back then only had this one pipe. Smoked multiples bowls of anything in it daily. Swapped out the balsa at the end of the day. Never had an issue or complaint. Never heard the word rotation. Cleaned it when I thought it was dirty. There were no forums. Tinder box and Captain Black were my friends.

Attachments

• savinelli 606 ks.jpg
    savinelli 606 ks.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 6

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first pipe was bought around 1978 or 79 at one of the larger malls in the city at a Tinder Box. It was a St. Ives Tinder Box house pipe, probably made in France, possibly by Chacom. It is a smooth bent poker with an unusual vertical saddle stem. It still looks good and smokes well.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Very first? It was a Morgan Bones. It's somewhere around in a moving box.. But what is truly important is my first Peterson. Sherlock Holmes Squire. This one is a fishtail. Wasn't sure if I would like P-lip, so made a mistake of getting fishtail. But smokes just fine.

IMG_20210615_130030_095.jpg

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Mine is this Ben Wade Black Friar Cordovan made in London England. It was a birthday gift in 1987 or ‘88 and came with the stand. Thanks to the old guy at the shop in the Marquette Mall the learning curve wasn’t too difficult. Smoked it on and off for decades till I finally quit cigarettes and got a clue. D6D4DE8C-6659-4C09-93D7-09FEB32B260E.jpeg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
That's about the same I had. I'm surprised you continued. I almost gave up. lol
Well, it was a decent enough pipe to start with, for the first half-dozen tries I took at getting it right. Damn thing just got too hot, being pear wood and all. The end came when I tried Vauen Auenland Evening Mixture in it. That was beyond a simple ghosting. It was like an entity. Made everything taste like pineapple, and I mean everything. Splurged on a Savinelli and chucked the Tropical Monster. It served its purpose.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
My first pipe (a straight emerald cob) I threw in the garbagio as it was never cleaned and started to taste terrible. I’m talking didn’t even clean it with a pipe cleaner, codger level gnarly. I knew nothing about pipes at the time. In fact I knew so little about pipes that the primary tobacco I smoked in the pipe was RYO American spirit because not only did I not know that pipe tobacco was a thing, but I didn’t know you could buy tobacco online. Other than that cob , this Ropp j03 was the first briar I ever bought myself. I still use it regularly and in fact used it earlier today while assembling my new blackstone grill. DC001CFE-E79F-4E6C-A64E-1EAE76A96EFF.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My first pipe was a MM cob I burned up within a few months of purchase in 1972. My first decent briar was an E A Carey smooth apple I bought when I was 16 in 1974, and I think I know where it is in my father’s Grade A milk barn.

Then one fall day in 1977, my new girlfriend and I went to visit the Kansas State Capitol at Wichita, and at an old time full service gas station, there was a box full of laundry detergent soaked pipes the new owner had discovered and was selling for $5 each. The previous owner was a widow of a man who must have hidden his pipes from her in a box under a shelf where she laundered the employees uniforms. The new owner stopped the practice of laundered uniforms and found a box of dead man’s pipes.

He offered me the whole box for $40, and my girlfriend offered to either give them to me, or loan me the money, but I’ve always kept some pride, about such matters.

$5 bought my first really high quality pipe. It took a while to get the Tide ghost out.

WDC Giant Wellington

DF7E8D92-5FB3-41C6-AE5A-A136B041DEE9.jpeg

Most of the other pipes I didn’t buy had little white shamrocks on them. There were a couple of dozen, at least.

It was a while later, I understood what that meant.

When I went back with forty dollars they were long gone.

Last edited:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Well, it was a decent enough pipe to start with, for the first half-dozen tries I took at getting it right. Damn thing just got too hot, being pear wood and all. The end came when I tried Vauen Auenland Evening Mixture in it. That was beyond a simple ghosting. It was like an entity. Made everything taste like pineapple, and I mean everything. Splurged on a Savinelli and chucked the Tropical Monster. It served its purpose.
That's a very relatable story! lol

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I love all the stories about everyone's first pipe, especially the ones from heirloomed pipes. I don't come from a smoking family, I'm most certainly the only smoker in my close relative small circle, so I don't have a fancy story on it. I just wanted a change from cigar smoking which got kind of expensive, so I bought a cob first and down the rabbithole I went.

My first pipe;

Vauen no1 Corncob.jpg

My first Meerschaum

SOTE Altinay Meerschaum.jpg

My first Briar (next to the BBB billiard I snapped the shank off)

RRR Neerup.jpg

F

fMf Piper

I love all the stories about everyone's first pipe, especially the ones from heirloomed pipes. I don't come from a smoking family, I'm most certainly the only smoker in my close relative small circle, so I don't have a fancy story on it. I just wanted a change from cigar smoking which got kind of expensive, so I bought a cob first
^^^This exactly. I still enjoy cigars occasionally, but I love my MM cobs. My first pipe purchase ever was this MM Diplomat 5th Avenue and 2oz Lane 1-Q.

fMf_Piper.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My first pipe experience involved heading to Campbell's Smoke Shop in East Lansing as a broke college student and suffering sticker shock at the price of pipes. Thinking cobs were lame, I picked up the basket pipe below and some Old Onyx (which is an aromatic that reminds me of a campfire in autumn).

I've come to appreciate cobs and the basket pipe is still in rotation as a great smoker. It's a small pipe that I use for quick smokes, shags, ropes, and plugs.

20220925_080221.jpg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I got interested last year when visiting my dad (he's 91), he stopped smoking in 1970 but kept his pipes. He gave these two to me.
Nice!
I started last fall when visiting my father (93), he gave me all his pipes. He stopped probably ‘74/75. I asked if I could have a couple, he said to take them all.
First was the little Stanwell 90, all the rest have been cleaned up and smoked since. The old late ‘60’s MM Freehand is the only cob of his, the others are ones I bought for work.C0AEA2EC-603F-454C-8CCD-09A21547DED2.jpeg