PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I feel bad that @telescopes forgot to pull the listing for his Illustrious, but I’m so glad I won the auction!
This pipe is just what I’ve been looking for in a briar-light, portable, classy, American.
It’s in fantastic condition, a quick sanitize with everclear and an oil rub has it pristine. It’s gonna see a lot of use.
The Doblone d’Oro is drying out a touch to go to work tomorrow, but I may have to step outside and christen it with a bowl of Devil’s Holiday before bed.
View attachment 211528
Best of all, it won't see any steel wool nor will it be put to bed in a bucket in a tool shed, lol. Enjoy.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Some of my used pipes come with lettering rubbed down by steel wool, but most don’t.

This nice Briarlee Medium Slim Billiard has an imperfect strike on the stamping, but otherwise is in nice shape.

E0750D7A-AB61-4E58-B15D-DDE1C644AFDD.jpeg2B0211EE-2DFB-4AE9-B9DB-F00E050FED2A.jpeg

The entire Briarlee line was for cheapskates who wanted a Star Grade and settled for a Briarlee. They are all over fifty and most are old enough for Social Security.

You could burn one up in a year or two if you were a one pipe codger.

That is why I think Briarlees in good condition today are scarcer than Star Grades. They mostly were used up, and thrown away.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Lee put out Strollers under both the Lee and Briarlee brands, though I’ve only seen the former in a catalog. They were typically medium to large bowls with short stems—lightweight and made for clenching. This one, quite oddly, has a full length stem. I understand not shortening the stem of a Prince. I don’t understand stamping this one “Stroller.” But I do like it anyway.
A Main.jpegB Top.jpegC Internal.jpeg
For comparison with a typical Stroller—a tall, stubby Billiard—the Prince is 6” long and has the usual medium bowl.
D Comparison.jpegE Comparison.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
Supposedly the Opera shape was intended to create a lower profile in a suit jacket pocket. At any rate, the oval bowl is interesting and is one I hadn’t seen from Briarlee. A dark contrast highlights the grain but also makes a couple fills more obvious.
A Main.jpegB Top.jpegC Internal.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: didimauw