PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FalconForever

Lurker
Mar 22, 2024
Sussex, England
Only threads I could find are a few years old so I'd thought I'd try and get you to drag some of your beautiful or neglected Falcons.inyo the daylight! Free the flock!

Here's my steadily growing collection, mostly new pipes but I have a small and growing 'museum' of older ones, some of which are completely unsmoked. I have also collected some Falcon accessories including a lightly restored (by me) Nimrod lighter with original receipt from 1978, a barley used gas lighter from the 80s, unused humidome rings, and amazingly a mobile sales display box, I guess used by reps from the c1960s?

Attachments

• IMG_20240329_112600390.jpg
    IMG_20240329_112600390.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240329_115030277.jpg
    IMG_20240329_115030277.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 15

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Always good to see Falcons out in the wild!

Here's my present grouping:
1000002654.jpg
On the far left is an Alco stem and two extra bowls.

Sadly, another eight or so are making their way to me...I couldn't resist an eBay lot.

I also have a couple of Ronsons, and one Kirsten. Which is the exact of Kirstens I care for.

FalconForever

Lurker
Mar 22, 2024
Sussex, England
Always good to see Falcons out in the wild!

Here's my present grouping:
View attachment 299264
On the far left is an Alco stem and two extra bowls.

Sadly, another eight or so are making their way to me...I couldn't resist an eBay lot.

I also have a couple of Ronsons, and one Kirsten. Which is the exact of Kirstens I care for.
That's a nice flock! Questions:

Is the white stem Shillelagh and first edition / early one?
Is the unusual bowl nearest camera, between front a Falcon made one ? Not seems that styling before.

I have an Alco set up for sale on eBay at the moment. Disappointingly I am a bowl short and cannot find one for sale or might reconsider and keep it. Although made by Falcon they're not a patch on the proper design, IMO.

I'm not familiar with Kirsten's although I have seen Ronsons on eBay.

Reactions: grimpeur

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
That's a nice flock! Questions:

Is the white stem Shillelagh and first edition / early one?
Is the unusual bowl nearest camera, between front a Falcon made one ? Not seems that styling before.

I have an Alco set up for sale on eBay at the moment. Disappointingly I am a bowl short and cannot find one for sale or might reconsider and keep it. Although made by Falcon they're not a patch on the proper design, IMO.

I'm not familiar with Kirsten's although I have seen Ronsons on eBay.
A) Yes, the white stem is an early Falcon, sold by Kathy Hunt.

B) I got a number of items from Kathy Hunt via a good man on eBay who wanted his Falcons to go to a good home. That weird bowl was one such; an experiment that was felt (rightly, I think!) not worth repeating.

C) From a manufacturing point of view, Alcos make sense: fewer steps in the manufacturing. With the small bowls, I use it for either short smokes, or for strong stuff like black twist.

D) The Ronsons, and I have both versions, aren't quite as good as Falcons, but are notable for two things. First, both, for some reason, allow every bit of tobacco to burn...effortlessly. Second, when outdoors and quickly looking up at a bird, plane, or Superman, there's no backwash from the reservoir!

FalconForever

Lurker
Mar 22, 2024
Sussex, England
A) Yes, the white stem is an early Falcon, sold by Kathy Hunt.

B) I got a number of items from Kathy Hunt via a good man on eBay who wanted his Falcons to go to a good home. That weird bowl was one such; an experiment that was felt (rightly, I think!) not worth repeating.

C) From a manufacturing point of view, Alcos make sense: fewer steps in the manufacturing. With the small bowls, I use it for either short smokes, or for strong stuff like black twist.

D) The Ronsons, and I have both versions, aren't quite as good as Falcons, but are notable for two things. First, both, for some reason, allow every bit of tobacco to burn...effortlessly. Second, when outdoors and quickly looking up at a bird, plane, or Superman, there's no backwash from the reservoir!
I saw someone selling a Kathy Hunt pipe the other week but I wasn't allowed to bid...😄 Interesting and good they've gone to good home.....I'm not jealous honestly.....

Sure I can the manufacturing sense of the Alco.

Do you have the book Back From The Ashes? I've read the Kindle version but keep looking for a print version or a PDF....if you know anyone?

Reactions: grimpeur

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
There was a UK pipe maker at last years show in Nottingham, he had a load of falcon bowls which he’d made himself. They were very popular as they all sold out upon the show’s opening. Peak Pipes I think it was.

Here’s mine. One American stem & all the rest English.
IMG_7708.jpeg

FalconForever

Lurker
Mar 22, 2024
Sussex, England
There was a UK pipe maker at last years show in Nottingham, he had a load of falcon bowls which he’d made himself. They were very popular as they all sold out upon the show’s opening. Peak Pipes I think it was.

Here’s mine. One American stem & all the rest English.
View attachment 299320
The meerschaum ones are nice, they suit that blingy gold one! Nice little bantam as well. 👍🏻