PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I’ve been a hat freak from childhood. Arthur Godfrey had Peter Lynd Hayes(sp?) substituting for him and he had a hat tree behind him and would wear a different hat during each segment. Cool!
@Ettrick puffer wears some great hats, as do others.
CurrentlyI’ve been interested in “newsboy” tweeds, but alas, they are too warm in Arizona, and I found a newsboy in linen from a Polish company, Sterkowski, that is the bee’s knees.
Let us know what you wear.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have four hats. One is visible to the left, unshorn wolf. then there are three cowboy hats. Two are beaver and well worn. The older is close to 40 years of service. The new one I purchased twenty years ago. The third is straw, well worn, my everyday Summer hat. The beaves are sweat stained, nondescript and have fanned camp fires in various places around the world. The beaves tell great stories. I wear a hat every time I leave the house. They're never placed on a bed and always removed at appropriate times.

I do have a flat cap I purchased in Ireland and only wear when visiting there.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I almost always wear a hat as gravity has cause all the hair on the top of my head to migrate to lower regions, and I don't want to get sunburnt.

These are great in hot weather, especially if you sweat. I have one of the Kangol brand also and these are as good. They are also easy to wash:
1639435754435.png
KBETHOS Classic Mesh Newsboy Ivy Cap Hat (21 Colors / 4 Sizes) at Amazon Men’s Clothing store

These are great out & about for both rain and sun, the Outback Trading River Guide in oilskin, very durable, 3" brim which snaps up:
1639435674147.png

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Not sure, a lady in town makes leather goods like gloves, purses, and hats from locally sourced skins. I asked if she could make me a Santa hat and she knocked it out of the park.

She did a great job.

BTW, How does the leather hat do in the rain? Does it get heavy or the brim droop? Does it harden up or shrink when it dries? I've wondered. Really rainy here.

I wear quite a few. I used to not be a hat guy, having flaming red hair, but as it started receding I had to protect my head.
I have a newboy hat that was my grandfather’s golf hat when he played professional golf in the 60’s. I have my straw pith, two stetson straw gamblers, a planters hat, a ropers hat and a slew of baseball caps. An Elmer Fudd, some knitted hats my wife made me, and a few others that aren’t worn often.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
She did a great job.

BTW, How does the leather hat do in the rain? Does it get heavy or the brim droop? Does it harden up or shrink when it dries? I've wondered. Really rainy here.
I just got the Santa so I haven't put it through any trials. I've had the outback hat years and give it a yearly treatment of mink oil. Water rolls right off of it.