PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
We’ve had some great zippo posts and pics . I’ve got a couple I love. My main outdoor lighter, however, is the Imco. Anyone have any cool ones?

Austrian made IMCOs from left the right. 6600 Junior, 6700 Triplex and 6800 Streamline. Far right hand side is a more recent 6700 Japanese Windmill IMCO made in China.

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpeg
    IMG_1891.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 18

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
The Austrian made ones are getting more pricey as time goes by since they don’t make them there anymore. The Japanese ones work well though and aren’t as pricey. There are pros and cons to both the originals and the current Japanese Windmill models. I’ve heard that both are better than the knock off Chinese variety.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
View attachment 230045
Just bought this one.
Would appear to be the same as Bassman's. I think they were promotional lighters for Chesterfield cigarettes.
Yea. The same. It’s great. I like the slim profile of the 6800. The Triplex 6700, however, has the flame control. It’s also more robust. The candle is also more stable if placed on a table - but how often would you use that feature? I absolutely love em’ all.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I believe the one I just bought is an Austrian made lighter. Gasoline fueled.
The guy selling them has a batch of NOS ones.
Yeah. They’re NOS. You can tell also because the Austrian made ones are magnetic while the newer ones and knock offs aren’t. They’re stainless. Pros and cons for both.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Yea. The same. It’s great. I like the slim profile of the 6800. The Triplex 6700, however, has the flame control. It’s also more robust. The candle is also more stable if placed on a table - but how often would you use that feature? I absolutely love em’ all.
Thanks for the info' here.
Not sure if I'd ever heard about them before.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I read somewhere that zippo flints will work, but that softer flints are better. I’ve just used the Kiribi ones I’ve had, so not sure.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I read that zippo flints are too hard for the Peterson and Kiribis. I figure that flints are cheaper than having to repair the strike wheel on the Peterson. Although getting Kiribi flints is a pain in the butt in Canada. That’s why I’m using softer flints in the IMCOs as well. Since they don’t make em’ anymore, want to make the strike wheels last.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I've never heard of softer/harder flints before.

I've done a quick search for IMCO flints, but haven't found anything that looks legit / comes from a legit storefront.
Neither had I for that matter. But using the Zippo flint in my IM Corona v using a Dunhill flint in my Dunhill Unique is chalk & cheese. I have developed calluses on my thumb from striking the IM Corona...
Whereby the Dunhill Unique is so very smooth.
I should also point out that the thumb wheel of the Dunhill is far superior in finish to that of the IM Corona.

Bizarrely, after receiving my Dunhill Unique, I was calling it all names, as I didn't think it performed as well as the IM Corona, even going as far as posting in the Forums about not being impressed.
HA! operator error at it's best! I should be ashamed for decrying the ease of use and beauty of the Dunhill.🤨