Apr 14, 2018
US Patent

18579767-orig.jpg

18579770-orig.jpg

18579769-orig.jpg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I found this in a box of old pipes that was left with one of the members of our pipe club by the widow of a long-time pipe smoker. I knew it was a Sasieni from some of the markings, though the stem is not original and quite loose. I had a closer look today with the microscope to see if I could get a better look at the markings. It is a patent-era Sasieni 'Moorgate.' The markings have been buffed into near-oblivion. It won't get anything but the gentlest cleaning from me and a nice coat of wax. Now begins the hunt for a replacement stem and a skilled artisan that can create the smaller four dot logo for it. It's got the script "Sasieni" with the 'swish' underneath; "London Made" underneath that, and the "Made In / England" football logo to the left. "Moorgate" is stamped on the other side. I have a mysterious one-dot stem that fits it perfectly, and appeared with other odds and ends I bought but with the "Moorgate" nomenclature I believe this was mean to be a four-dot pipe.
thumbnail_IMG_20200806_160759.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20200806_155623.jpg
It's seen here in this '30s catalog, although whether it predates the catalog isn't yet clear to me.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Nothing to compete with some of pipe shown here, but this is the entirety of my collection, all family era pipes.

20200809_111557.jpg

Top to bottom:
Four Dot Ruff Root Liverpool
Four Dot Walnut postwar patent Lombard
Old England squat bulldog
Eight Dot Lancashire
Four Dot postwar patent Marlborough
Eight Dot Straight Grain Buckingham
Four Dot Natural Victoria
Four Dot Natural Buckingham stummel
Four Dot Natural Warwick
Four Dot Natural Westminster with a poor replacement stem.

The Old England belonged to my grandfather, the Buckingham stummel and the Westminster belonged to his wife's brother, my great uncle Ernie. I need to get both of them restemmed correctly.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Did not all sasieni pipe stems have dots? Not their seconds brands. I’ve noticed a few that the stems don’t have dots and wondered if they are always replacements or just sometimes replacements.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
As you pointed out, their seconds brands did not have dots (except the two dot run) but as far as I know the first or top line Sasieni pipes always had at least one dot.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Did not all sasieni pipe stems have dots? Not their seconds brands. I’ve noticed a few that the stems don’t have dots and wondered if they are always replacements or just sometimes replacements.
Sasieni used a single dot at first, until they lost in court to Dunhill over a trademark infringement suit, in 1924, IIRC. They then tried out a couple of other dot permutations before creating the familiar 4 dot.

The eight dot came along later, as a marketing gimmick, to show the 4 dot logo on either side of the stem. Instant advertising.

There's disagreement about when the 8 dots came along. Some say around 1928 and others say not until the early 1930's. The 8 dots ended during WW2. Sasieni may be the only British maker whose collectibility is affected by the stem logo.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Even though I've had a number of Sasieni pipes over the years, these are the only two I've saved. My wife and I bought these new at a Tinder Box about 1983. I had no idea what they were at the time, but I'd heard of Sasieni pipes before. Anyway, I think I posted these here some time ago, many years ago in fact. But I couldn't find the original pics, so here are my two oddball Sasieni pipes. My wife's Perfect Ten, and my Superb Six, with slightly different colors for some reason.

fullsizeoutput_29bf.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_29be.jpeg

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Even though I've had a number of Sasieni pipes over the years, these are the only two I've saved. My wife and I bought these new at a Tinder Box about 1983. I had no idea what they were at the time, but I'd heard of Sasieni pipes before. Anyway, I think I posted these here some time ago, many years ago in fact. But I couldn't find the original pics, so here are my two oddball Sasieni pipes. My wife's Perfect Ten, and my Superb Six, with slightly different colors for some reason.

View attachment 45003
View attachment 45004
I wouldn't Mike, I think they have character as is.

I’m thinking of getting a perfect 10. There is one on eBay, but it’s not advertised as such. How does it smoke? If anyone wants it more than I, I can share the link.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Sasieni used a single dot at first, until they lost in court to Dunhill over a trademark infringement suit, in 1924, IIRC. They then tried out a couple of other dot permutations before creating the familiar 4 dot.

The eight dot came along later, as a marketing gimmick, to show the 4 dot logo on either side of the stem. Instant advertising.

There's disagreement about when the 8 dots came along. Some say around 1928 and others say not until the early 1930's. The 8 dots ended during WW2. Sasieni may be the only British maker whose collectibility is affected by the stem logo.

So is it safe to assume that true sasieni pipes with no dots have replacement stems?