PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Good to know, thank you! I've got a 1941 but have never tried to put a pipe insert in it.
Yep - I think I called Zippo. I'm a real nostalgia buff - in this case with Zippos and the G.I.s who used them.
Here's the link to the site for the info: Zippo Stainless Steel Pipe Insert - https://www.zippo.com/products/pipe-insert-chrome?_pos=2&_sid=9ce205f13&_ss=r
I had had the '41 for awhile, but I have only been smoking pipes for a few years now and although I really liked it, I didn't use it much when smoking cigars. When I started smoking a pipe and found I could get the insert, it gave it a second life! So happy I saw people using them in the various groups!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yep - I think I called Zippo. I'm a real nostalgia buff - in this case with Zippos and the G.I.s who used them.
Here's the link to the site for the info: Zippo Stainless Steel Pipe Insert - https://www.zippo.com/products/pipe-insert-chrome?_pos=2&_sid=9ce205f13&_ss=r
I had had the '41 for awhile, but I have only been smoking pipes for a few years now and although I really liked it, I didn't use it much when smoking cigars. When I started smoking a pipe and found I could get the insert, it gave it a second life! So happy I saw people using them in the various groups!
I've got a couple of new extra pipe inserts, I bought about six of em on eBay from a seller who had em for $9 each. I used my 41 when I was a cig smoker and really haven't touched it since. I always assumed the pipe inserts wouldn't fit it so I never even tried. Nice to know I can, like you said, give it another life. It was a gift from a close friend and it's engraved. I carried it when I was in the navy and it's been around the world.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I've got a couple of new extra pipe inserts, I bought about six of em on eBay from a seller who had em for $9 each. I used my 41 when I was a cig smoker and really haven't touched it since. I always assumed the pipe inserts wouldn't fit it so I never even tried. Nice to know I can, like you said, give it another life. It was a gift from a close friend and it's engraved. I carried it when I was in the navy and it's been around the world.
Wow! What a great story! I got the one for my '41 on Ebay too - around $10. So glad that it's not collecting dust anymore. And since I'm an "outdoor only" smoker, the Zippo, I must say, can't be beat!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Wow! What a great story! I got the one for my '41 on Ebay too - around $10. So glad that it's not collecting dust anymore. And since I'm an "outdoor only" smoker, the Zippo, I must say, can't be beat!
Yep same here, Zippo is the only pipe lighter I use. I have several spares and send them back to Zippo for new hinges and inserts when they get wonky. But my 41 is my only lighter with sentimental value.

k_as_in_knife

Lurker
Mar 10, 2023
Kissimmee, Florida
20230723_135332.jpg

Some Zippos... the pipe lighter and the plain one (which has a Zippo butane pipe insert) are used regularly. The Steelers lighter was my (maternal) grandfather's, and if I recall the date code correctly, it's 1974 - first Steelers super bowl. The Elks lighter belonged to my paternal grandfather, and it's actually a Korean knock-off. Best Pickles on Earth!