PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
So, which size pipe tobacco tins do you like, or do you prefer to buy & cellar bulk?
Don't forget to include why for your preferences.
Personally, I prefer small-medium size tins (2 - 3.5 oz) and the occasional bulk 2-4 oz.
I do not care to have larger quantities jarred.
What say ye all?

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I wish more companies sold in 4oz containers. That used to be a pretty common size, and even when I'm trying a new blend, I don't mind taking a little bigger bite than 2oz. I appreciate that Mac Baren offers much of their stuff in 3.5oz/100g tins, at least. C&D does sell a few special release blends in 100g tins, but it's probably not cost-effective to package everything in 4 different sizes. puffy

Reactions: badbriar

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I seldom buy tins, although I have bought and smoked quite a few blends in tins. Several in tubs and pounds and pounds in bulk. A pound is equal to eight C&D tins. I just keep my bulks in an ice chest in their original bags and take out what I want as desired. I live in FL and have not had any problems with mold.
I've bought Peter Stokkebye flakes by the box, C&D by the tin and by the pound, Newminster's coins and flake by the pound, Lane blend, Sutliff blends, Best of the Rest (?), Pounds and pounds of D&R, I've even smoked lbs of OHM and Smoker's Pride. We're scratching the surface of my meager tobacco tasting catalog.
Lately, I've been buying Sutliff tobaccos and realized that the price per 1/2 lb in bulk is almost the same as it is per lb., so, I recently ordered 6 new Sutliff bulk blends by the half pound. I'm confident they'll be delicious.
If you like or want something and it doesn't require life or limb, go ahead and GET IT!

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Bulk 90% of the time. I quit chasing unicorns some time ago. Over the years, I have found some bulk options that I am pleased with and prefer to stock up on those by the pound. As Hoosier mentioned, I have a few favorites that aren't offered in bulk and will occasionally purchase those tins when they are on sale.