Smoking in my Bedroom with a Blueair Purifier?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Hey guys, I have a Blueair 411a Max purifier that I use in my room. I want to try smoking my pipe while having the purifier right beside me on my desk. I plan on smoking sloooooowly.

My question is regarding my window. I have read that you want to keep windows closed when running an air purifier for it to be most effective. Does this still apply if I'm smoking my pipe? Or should I open my window to circulate fresh air from outside while running my air purifier when smoking?

Thanks guys.

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Smoke is smoke, doesn't matter if it's a cigar or cigarette or a pipe, the purifier does it's thing with smoke it doesn't know what kind of smoke it is.
I understand that. My question pertains to having my window open vs closed while running the purifier with smoke.

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
What are you trying to mitigate? I smoked plum pudding in the bedroom once. The wife was NOT happy, haha!
After my ex and I separated I've been staying with my mom. She hates the smell of smoke and when I clean my pipes, Hense the air purifier (for when I clean my pipes after a smoke either outside or in my car. I also have a brazilian rainbow boa in my room and I wouldn't want lingering smoke to enter his enclosure.

Reactions: anotherbob

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I’d try it with the doors and window closed but without a dedicated smoke eater with a charcoal odor filter she might not be happy. I have a buddy who was not happy with his Blueair he had better luck with a Rabbit with the charcoal filter but even with that his wife could smell smoke.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I do a three-pronged method, and I find it cuts down significantly on smell and, more importantly, wall and ceiling damage. Still, if you smoke a lot, well, you'll eventually get a smell that non-smokers will definitely notice, especially with more pungent blends.

Yes, I do keep a window cracked open. Our purpose here is to reduce smell and damage caused by the smoke, not to reduce allergens and dust. Crack that window open and keep it open whenever possible.

Keep your air purifier stationed close to where the smoke will actually be.
Keep it on after you finish your smoking for at least half an hour.

Finally, invest in scented candles that designed to help eliminate smoke odors through an enzymatic compound. They're fairly cheap and easy to come by. You can get them on Smoking Pipes or at practically any headshop.

Oh, and not to get all Jordan Peterson about it, but do clean your room. Don't just rely on sprays and candles like some clueless college student. Actually vacuum and dust and scrub every now and then.

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023
Northumberland county, pa
After my ex and I separated I've been staying with my mom. She hates the smell of smoke and when I clean my pipes, Hense the air purifier (for when I clean my pipes after a smoke either outside or in my car. I also have a brazilian rainbow boa in my room and I wouldn't want lingering smoke to enter his enclosure.
Then don't smoke....just smoke when your not around them,or not at all

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Opening the window and having the air purifier going is working fantastic!
Since I can relax in my own chair, no wind, no car, and watching Netflix, I'm going on 2+ hours with my Deluxe 312. Probably the most satisfying smoke I've had thus far. Oh the flavour! Smoking Ahab comfort, it's a mix by watch city cigars. Love smoking slowly.
Where I have the purifier placed and where the window is, there isn't any smoke affecting the cage, room hardly smells. Good stuff! I won't do this all of the time, but once and a while for a treat.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Yeah, having the windows open will clear out most of it. I rarely use the purifier now, but I know what you mean. Seems a bit of waste to have it on when the windows are fully open, but I've done that before too. For some perspective, smoke a cigar in there. I'll take 2 weeks for the cigar reek to clear out especially if you have carpets. One of the reasons I switched over to pipes many years ago is that you're just not burning that much leaf with pipes, so the funk is really minimal (especially with virginia's) with the windows open and the occasional ozone blast from the purifier when you're not home of course.

Fuelman

Might Stick Around
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
I have an Edenpure air purifier that works very well. We heat with wood and sometimes a little smoke comes out when putting wood in the stove. We run it with the windows closed, and after a little bit you don’t smell any smoke. I haven’t tried it with pipe smoke, but I’m sure it would work the same.

Reactions: Sacred_summit

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I miss the old days when there was a residual tobacco scent just about everywhere. Seemed like it was just ignored by everyone. A non-smoker's house certainly smelled different to me as a child. It was often weird, as though you could smell other dominant odors, like people's bodies or soap smells coming from the bathroom. Someone light a cigar, quick! was my thinking. But I was a depraved child, apparently born with a latent nicotine/tobacco lust.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I miss the old days when there was a residual tobacco scent just about everywhere.
I don’t smell it but I’m sure everything in my world smells like stale Latakia. I was 3 people behind an old guy at the store the other day who reeked of cigarettes. I was kinda grossed out.

I’m not smoking 3 packs of nails a day but I imagine that’s what most people think when they walk into my house.

Another thing to try is ZEP smoke eliminator spray. One quick little shot of that in a room WILL get rid of smoke smell period.
It helps cover the smell better than anything and is found (next to the duct tape) in the “industrial” cleaner section of Wal-Mart.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Green Hill piper said:
Another thing to try is ZEP smoke eliminator spray. One quick little shot of that in a room WILL get rid of smoke smell period.

It helps cover the smell better than anything and is found (next to the duct tape) in the “industrial” cleaner section of Wal-Mart.
I found it on page 34,587 of Amazon. $20 for four canisters.

And thanks, it appears to be just what I need, as I've started smoking in the TV room. (Used to be only outdoors and while driving.)

Reactions: Sacred_summit

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't notice as my office smells like the 'Gawith Proving Grounds' and every bin is overflowing with paper, soiled pipe cleaners and lord knows what else. My YaYa only comes in on Monday so by Saturday my office resembles a hobo encampment. I have tried most forms of smoke abatement devices over the years because (a) I smoke a pipe (b) I suffer from extreme flatulence caused by my high fibre and vegetable diet - if I ever offer you my finger and tell you to pull it, it is wise decline. That being said the best device I have ever owned is this wall mounted device that I have plugged in to the power strip under my desk as it kills two birds with one stone so to speak!