PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
As part of my job ad an environmental consultant (NOT an environmentalist, those guys hate guys like me), I get to go to some fun places to do environmental inspections. Today I am in Silver Springs, NV, located in NW Nevada, east of Reno. I am inspecting an old radio/cell tower site about 2 miles off US HWY 50.
20230628_115118.jpg

20230628_114235.jpg

Short walks to the east or west from the cell tower and you are up on hills with a beautiful view of Lahontan Reservoir, which stretches for miles just south of the site.

20230628_105805.jpg

20230628_114917.jpg

After doing my obligatory chores,I was able to find a nice comfy rock to sit, have my lunch and smoke a bowl of CS Old Toby in my Nordine.

IMG_20230628_110338.jpg

20230628_111701.jpg

What intereting places have you smoked a bowl?

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Yuh know you can be an environmentalist without being fanatical. If you enjoy the wilds and the tobacco within it, it is your best interest to be a good steward of the earth. Doesn't mean you have to run oil moguls over with your tesla or whatever you think self proclaimed environmentalists do 😆
Well, I am a bit of a conservationalist... I spend quite a bit of time enjoying open spaces. Most self-proclaimed "environmentalists" don't like me, because I routinely work for major oil companies, railroads, and manufacturing firms. I often joke that my job is to "help my clients pollute to the maximum extent of the law." But in all seriousness, I have done more for the environment cleaning up after the evil corporations, or helping them PREVENT pollution. But I play their game, in order to get a seat at the table. It is also nice that they pay well and fast.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with environmentalists, they just don't like me!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
HawkeyeLinus, one of my vivid memories of my first trip to Ireland was the Cliffs of Moher, though I can never remember how to spell it. The idea of smoking a pipe there is beyond me, because the day we were there, my late wife and I, the onshore was powerful as a wind tunnel. To get to the barrier wall that keeps people from blowing away into the ocean, we had to tilt forward to make our way. It was amazing and unforgettable.

I mostly smoke at home, but I have had a few travel experiences. But one otherwise unmemorable spot was a parking lot outside a plain little building where I waited while my wife had her hair done. It took forever. We still joke about it today. The stylist was the friend of an extended family member, and apparently he couldn't do a woman's haircut in less than four or five hours.

I had a good quality no-name smooth straight "Made In England" billiard and a pleasant Sutliff English blend called Westminster (not GLP's). and I must have smoked four or five bowls out of the tin, peering in to see the guy still clipping and gabbing. It turned into a day trip. Whenever I drive past the place, I shake my head.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
As part of my job ad an environmental consultant (NOT an environmentalist, those guys hate guys like me), I get to go to some fun places to do environmental inspections. Today I am in Silver Springs, NV, located in NW Nevada, east of Reno. I am inspecting an old radio/cell tower site about 2 miles off US HWY 50.
View attachment 230193

View attachment 230194

Short walks to the east or west from the cell tower and you are up on hills with a beautiful view of Lahontan Reservoir, which stretches for miles just south of the site.

View attachment 230196

View attachment 230197

After doing my obligatory chores,I was able to find a nice comfy rock to sit, have my lunch and smoke a bowl of CS Old Toby in my Nordine.

View attachment 230199

View attachment 230201

What intereting places have you smoked a bowl?
I always take a pipe when I'm hiking or bird-watching, especially in the very early morning which, for me, requires a Virginia flake. Thanks for posting the images (how do you do that?), Any birds up there?

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
I always take a pipe when I'm hiking or bird-watching, especially in the very early morning which, for me, requires a Virginia flake. Thanks for posting the images (how do you do that?), Any birds up there?
There is a button at the top of the posting window for adding photos.

Most of the birds put there are desert birds. Losts of hawks and crows.

Harley2003rkc

Lurker
Aug 24, 2023
Cool pics.
Most environmentalists aren't what they claim to be. A number of years ago I was put on the spot at a customers site concerning my views (a look at my belt buckle or hat gives them away), it went on until I calmly asked how many trees these self proclaimed tree huggers had planted in the last year. Not a one had planted a single tree in the last year and they were beyond stunned to find out that I had ordered and planted several hundred trees per year for me a few consecutive years. I've found most environmentalists to be 4 parts mental gymnast and 1 part environmentalist.

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
Cool pics.
Most environmentalists aren't what they claim to be. A number of years ago I was put on the spot at a customers site concerning my views (a look at my belt buckle or hat gives them away), it went on until I calmly asked how many trees these self proclaimed tree huggers had planted in the last year. Not a one had planted a single tree in the last year and they were beyond stunned to find out that I had ordered and planted several hundred trees per year for me a few consecutive years. I've found most environmentalists to be 4 parts mental gymnast and 1 part environmentalist.
I mean there are dishonest hacks in every single ideology. There are people who dedicate their lives to a pursuit. And there are others who simple orbit around the progress of others. There are evil people and virtuous people in every single interest group. I'm this regard environmentalists are no different from anyone else. And yet it doesn't seem productive to class them all as such. I could make an example of almost every single echelon of people in our society. Their failings and their ills. But generally I try to just take it person by person, even amongst ideologies I have great distaste for