PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
My five month pipe smoking career has, until now, been limited to smaller bowls like my favorite Peterson 03 and 05. I recently bought a Savinelli Dry System (1611), an XL size bowl, that I just cannot seem to get to smoke. With a 6mm Charcoal filter, a balsa filter, even no filter, it's like trying to drink a soda with a giant straw. Just no smoke at all.

I've tried some of my super reliable blends, even the real easy burning Burleys, and can't get a damn thing to work. Then, I pack my Petersons and have a great smoke, every time. I can't figure it out. Any advice on this?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
You don't want to pack tight but you probably have to pack tighter than you are used to with a small bowl, too much air flow you need the proper amount of leaf to ignite and spread, with that much airflow its a bit different than a small bowl, at least thats what i have found.

Reactions: seanv and Cyxelsid
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
What blends are you smoking from the larger one? Flake or ribbon? Sounds like a pretty open draw, but that tends to be more enjoyable for me.
My guess would be either packed too tight or too loose. To test this, I would gravity fill the bowl and press it down with your thumb. Throughout the smoke, slowly tamp it more and more and see if it smokes better in the beginning (looser) or after some tamping (tighter).
Just my guess

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The packing will feel a little different, though the result is about the same. You need a good fuel (tobacco) and air mix, and maybe a charring light to get it to settle, and some gentle tamping to get it to light up and form a nice ember.

It may take a few tries and a bit of tinkering, but it works. Once you figure it out, it is pleasing to have the chamber for a good long smoke, whether that is one long meditative session or intermittent sessions that you can stretch over a day or even two.

I have mostly medium size pipes but wouldn't be without the small chambers and the large ones.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whatever size chamber you are using, I think you will find your more solid cuts -- flake, coin, plug, or rope -- burn more slowly, so factor that into your expectations. So solid cuts will extend the length of your smoke, whether in a small, medium, or large chamber.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You don't want to pack tight but you probably have to pack tighter than you are used to with a small bowl, too much air flow you need the proper amount of leaf to ignite and spread, with that much airflow its a bit different than a small bowl, at least thats what i have found.
that's the opposite of what I was going to say. I've found in my experience the larger the chamber the more important it is to pack looser. Ah the continued mystery of the pipe. :)

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
How does the pipe draw when its empty? Could have a blockage from the factory, its pretty common, just ask @AroEnglish. He got a Peterson second Pub that was completely blocked. Can you run a pipe cleaner through the stem and through the draft hole with the stem out.

As an experiment, put a pipe cleaner in the draft hole so it sticks in to the chamber. Then pack the pipe, remove the pipe cleaner and put the stem in place. See if it smokes better that way. If so, your getting loose tobacco blocking the draft hole in the bottom of the chamber. I have a few pipes that are prone to this.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
One that is the most easy to learn from is a Latkea blend. It smokes cool. You tamp is more than some of the others but it is a great smoke. I use Cornell and Diehl Super Balkan from Wilke pipe shop. Love it.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
How does the pipe draw when its empty? Could have a blockage from the factory, its pretty common, just ask @AroEnglish. He got a Peterson second Pub that was completely blocked. Can you run a pipe cleaner through the stem and through the draft hole with the stem out.

As an experiment, put a pipe cleaner in the draft hole so it sticks in to the chamber. Then pack the pipe, remove the pipe cleaner and put the stem in place. See if it smokes better that way. If so, your getting loose tobacco blocking the draft hole in the bottom of the chamber. I have a few pipes that are prone to this.
Yep that was my problem.

You could also take the stem off and suck through it and do the same with the shank to see if it’s one or both of them that’s giving you trouble.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
As others have said, factory blockage happens, If you have a pipe that you love the draw on load it up and compare it with newer pipes, as you load check the draw before committing flame to baccy and load accordingly till you figure it out, checking the draw before false light is always a good tack, enjoy the journey

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
That looks like to me a very nice Burley pipe. It has a considerably deep and wide bowl. Maybe a Latakia blend as well. My guess, like others, is the packing technique. If there is no free air/room on the bottom it will be difficult to light and smoke

Reactions: JOHN72 and Lucashly

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I don't find that bowl size has any effect on how I pack it, of course, the amount of tobacco needed will vary. There is some variation depending on the cut of the tobacco -- ribbon, flake, plug, coins etc. Given that other pipes smoke just fine there might be something off in the airway, drilling, or the stem itself. IME the size of the bowl should not be the source of your issues.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't give up. You've likely packed too loose. As the others have said, keep experimenting with the pack. There is a good blog post on SP about smoking larger pipes. It's worth a read
The ones in the article are more magnum size and larger but really smoke no different than a standard pipe just substantially longer. The pipe in the OP is around a large group 4 or a small group 5. Shouldn't be much different than the other pipes he referenced unless there's an issue with the pipe itself.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't find that bowl size has any effect on how I pack it, of course, the amount of tobacco needed will vary. There is some variation depending on the cut of the tobacco -- ribbon, flake, plug, coins etc. Given that other pipes smoke just fine there might be something off in the airway, drilling, or the stem itself. IME the size of the bowl should not be the source of your issues.
Totally agree.

denholrl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2011
My five month pipe smoking career has, until now, been limited to smaller bowls like my favorite Peterson 03 and 05. I recently bought a Savinelli Dry System (1611), an XL size bowl, that I just cannot seem to get to smoke. With a 6mm Charcoal filter, a balsa filter, even no filter, it's like trying to drink a soda with a giant straw. Just no smoke at all.

I've tried some of my super reliable blends, even the real easy burning Burleys, and can't get a damn thing to work. Then, I pack my Petersons and have a great smoke, every time. I can't figure it out. Any advice on this?
Try different packing. Also, try flakes vs. other cuts. I like the tighter packing suggestion.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Try different packing. Also, try flakes vs. other cuts. I like the tighter packing suggestion.
Well, to close the loop on this, I did sent it back to SmokingPipes and they responded that there was indeed some obstruction in the pipe that was causing it to smoke poorly. I may have to give a Peterson XL size a shot after all.