PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I picked up a Kaywoodie estate recently on EBay- simply because it was part of a small block I wanted due to a Peterson being offered. I got it for a song. So this Kaywoodie has been sitting on my rack. I checked it out, unscrewed it, pondered that weird stinger and then it sat for several weeks. Earlier tonight I figured I would clean her up and give her a try. So here I sit smoking PA (my default go-to for breaking in or testing) out of this pipe and I must admit I am pleasantly surprised. I had more or less convinced myself that I would hate the stinger. But this is really a very cool, dry smoke. It's a small Dublin - I have no idea what year or model. It's been well-smoked, that's for sure. Was incredibly dirty when I got it and took about 6 pipe cleaners soaked in everclear, plus soaking the stinger in Everclear,to get it smokable. It has quite an advanced cake. The draw is just right for me: not too loose or too tight, but leaning a degree or two to the tightish side. I think I may just make this a Virginia or Burley pipe and put it into rotation. The dimensions are such that it could make a food flake pipe as well. Overall, while I can't say I'm a stinger convert, I'm at least convinced that the folks at Kaywoodie had a plan. My only complaint is that the pipe is very heavy for it's size and shape. Not sure if that's related to the stinger and housing, but I suspect that's the reason or the additional weight - not a desirable characteristic, especially in a straight Pioe. I typically smoke a little wet - not much, but a bit. This is probably due to slight over-puffing from all my years as a cigarette smoker. I have to admit that the stinger does it's job in this dept: not even a hint of a gurgle 3/4 of the way through. Conclusion: I have changed my mind about stingers - or , rather, I have adjusted my preconceived notions.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
all my K'woodies save one have stingers intact--someone got to it before i got the pipe--
i have never hated stingers as some do--they allow one to break open the pipe in mid smoke and do whatever maintenance is required to clear any problem--no fear of damaging the pipe--

thorsrevenge

Lurker
Oct 12, 2011
I love my pair of Kaywoodies a campus and a super grain oom-Paul both with stingers the campus was actually my first pipe and it is still in rotation for aromatics even with the small size. By the oom-Paul is a dream to smoke it is one of my top two pipes and I don't foresee a change in that.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Some of my first pipes in the 60s are KWs. In the last several years I have nabbed a bunch of estate and brand new Kaywoodies, both with and w/o stingers. Both old and new ones are among my best puffers. In fact, the POYs and Handmades are Best Buys for handmades. EBay estates can be dirt cheap.
hp

les

Jul 15, 2011
I got a Kaywoodie off ebay that I have never smoked before. Im gonna have to get around to that! Thanks for reminding me that I have it. Mine was stingerless when I bought it and was actually very easy to clean.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Isn't the stinger inside the stem? Opening up the pipe while the bowl is hot could damage the pipe.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
img_1860-600x450.jpg
juni- it is a metal screw configuration that can be unscrewed while the pipe is working, not like trying to undo a hot wood/vulcanite push-in type stem system. the stinger is not "inside" the stem, but is the end of the stem. usually the warning for opening the pipe while hot is aimed at not breaking off the stem becuase the heat has caused some expansion and made things tighter at the joint. hope the pic helps

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Good morning Coalsmoke, I have 2 or 3 Woodies that are some of my best smokers.

By the way, I luv your train photos. Been riding the rails since I was very young. Getting ready to go to L.A.

on Amtrack Next week.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Well that is another thing entirely, from the mouth end of the stem you run into the end of the stinger that has 3 or 4 small holes.If you work the cleaner you may get it to pass thru a hole, the easier way is to start at the stinger end and push to the mouth piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.