PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Don't want to start a filtered vs unfiltered debate, but is there any special technique for smoking an unfiltered pipe? I love my 9mm filter pipes and find that smoking without is harsh, but there are so few filtered pipes available compared to unfiltered that obviously people prefer no filter. I always get a bit of loose tobacco at the start and some ash at the end. I must be doing something wrong.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I always get a bit of loose tobacco at the start and some ash at the end. I must be doing something wrong.
No not really. But to avoid that loose tobacco ... put a pipe cleaner down shank into bowl then load larger flakes, bits, wad, of tobacco first then the rest of tobacco. Pull cleaner, re-assemble then smoke but slower try retrohaling. Don't inhale into throat and lungs. Slight sips.

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I love my 9mm filter pipes and find that smoking without is harsh,
I started out smoking only filtered pipes, and then one day stopped because I was tired of carrying filters around. The first few times are going to feel harsh, but as you learn to smoke without a filter (slower and less resistance) that harshness will go away.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I haven’t really noticed a difference between filtered and non-filtered pipes. I sometimes get ash at the end if I am distracted and don’t realize the bowl is done and take a larger draw. I second the sipping. You won’t get ash with either if you don’t draw too hard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have many pipes that take filters that I smoke without filters. Even with loose tobacco, I find that if I don't pack them too tightly, they seldom pass tobacco through the airways.

This includes numerous Savinelli pipes with balsa moisture traps, other pipes that use paper Dr. Grabow or Medico filters, and pipes that take 9 mm filters. The draw is fine without the filters and tobacco bits through the stem are rare.

Play around a little with packing and I think this will be true for you as well.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Don't want to start a filtered vs unfiltered debate, but is there any special technique for smoking an unfiltered pipe? I love my 9mm filter pipes and find that smoking without is harsh, but there are so few filtered pipes available compared to unfiltered that obviously people prefer no filter. I always get a bit of loose tobacco at the start and some ash at the end. I must be doing something wrong.
Just curious... if you get a satisfying smoke from a filtered pipe and a disappointing smoke from an unfiltered pipe, why the switch?

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Just curious... if you get a satisfying smoke from a filtered pipe and a disappointing smoke from an unfiltered pipe, why the switch?
Well, I am not switching. I occasionally try a pipe without a filter and generally find it not too enjoyable. A month or so ago I smoked a big bowl in one of my 9mm pipes and it was a bit harsh and bitey. After finishing, I pulled the stem to clean it and realized I had forgotten to put the filter in! I'm definitely a filter guy, just really curious as to why more people don't use them.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Try giving your tobacco jar a lite shake before you pick the tobacco. That will help the small pieces to go to the bottom of the jar and the larger pieces will be at the top. That should help with your getting a "slug" through the stem. Later, as the tobacco jar gets low on tobacco do the same thing, but this time load half way with the large pieces and top it off with some small bits from the bottom of the jar. Not only is this a good way to use those little bits of tobacco but you'll find they make the pipe easier to get lit.

As to your filter question, it's personal taste. For me, I like a balsa with an aromatic but smoke my English straight. puffy

Reactions: yanoJL

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have filter blanks for my filter pipes that I was bought for presents, the other day I put a filter in one, the filters came with a pipe that was a present, I quite enjoyed it but it was a straight Peterson, don't normally smoke straights but it was quite nice, that was my first experience with filters in more than 50 years of smoking a pipe. Can't be bothered with it, I will carry on as normal. puffy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have a 9mm filter dane that i love, a Sven with a large pot, I smoke it with and without a filter, i do get much more taste out of the pipe without the filter, it's a hell of a difference in draw and sometimes it just hits right without.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I've only used the Sav 320ks without filter. I think it compares to my non filtered which I always drill out to 11/64. I drill the bit out to 9/64 at the tenon side and 5/64 at the mouth end. Less resistance and more air. My Pete's come about 9/64 in stummel and 7/64 at the tenon. I fight the draw and end up drawing harder which kills the tobacco. With a wider draw hole I barely have to breathe to get it going. I just breathe through nose with a slight effort. Hard to describe. The tapering is based on bernouli principle. Easier draw and no relights. You can just sip it and it stays lit. Flavor is better. As least as far as I see it for me.

Loose tobacco and ash to me sounds like your drawing hard because you are used to smaller holes and filter restriction. Try leaving your lip cracked slightly off the bit. Less draw pressure would equate to not sucking in those nasty bits you describe.

Anyway...I've never liked filters.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Try leaving your lip cracked slightly off the bit. Less draw pressure would equate to not sucking in those nasty bits you describe.
Thanks, that actually sounds like how I'm evolving into smoking. Very light lips on the bit. It helps to have a very light pack. I generally use a gravity fill and neaten in up with my thumb pad, but never poke it or "pack" it.

Reactions: proteus

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Well, I am not switching. I occasionally try a pipe without a filter and generally find it not too enjoyable. A month or so ago I smoked a big bowl in one of my 9mm pipes and it was a bit harsh and bitey. After finishing, I pulled the stem to clean it and realized I had forgotten to put the filter in! I'm definitely a filter guy, just really curious as to why more people don't use them.
I had the exact same experience as you. I just kept with trying no filter, and eventually experienced no issues. Just takes time of no-filter smoking. I stopped using filters because they can get expensive, they affect flavor, and are just another thing to carry around. There are also more options for pipes when you don’t limit to filters.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I always draw on the freshly packed bowl to judge the draw before lighting. Many times I get a small piece of tobacco that pulls through, but never any after that. I am careful to never stir my tobacco at the end of a bowl (I will gingerly dump if necessary) to avoid the ash, and then I never get it. The only filter that I want to taste is the tobacco in the bowl. A filter will change the taste and the smoke. We strive for the perfect blend, why add a flavor?!! We strive for a straight and open stem to avoid condensation, why disrupt the flow and virtually guarantee it is not laminar - even if the filter does not allow the moisture all the way up the stem? Why put a plug in the way so that I can't pass a pipe cleaner? And finally, why add complexity and expense?

After all that, use a filter if you wish. We all enjoy the routine of smoking differently and you do what is best for you. I personally avoid filtered pipes for all the above reasons.