PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just a follow up.
I now have a pound of Cockstrong, Picayune and Ramback Balkan.
Most of my other tobacco has been neglected while I mess around with these. Once you learn to adjust your cadence for the dryness, they are very interest blends.
Since we're having rain and high humidity, I've been dragging the bag to the front porch with me and leaving it open to hydrate some.
One common factor, each starts just a bit rough, but blossoms into something interesting if taken slowly for the first few minutes.
Very different from other tobaccos in regards to technique.
Fuller reviews, some day...
jay-roger.jpg

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have been greatly enjoying my D&R blends. Picayune I find to be very tasty and am now considering adding some more tobaccos that have oriental varietals in them. This is a strong tobacco, which I enjoy best if I have something to drink otherwise I get hiccups.
I am also enjoying the Rimboche SJ. This VaPer is sweeter than I was expecting, so it is a nice change from Escudo. I really enjoy the complexity of the smoke. One of benefits to this blend is that it does not require much dry time so it is a great after work smoke.
Finally, a couple of things I have learned. First is how dry I like my tobacco. Even though these blends come a bit dry, I do like to let them dry just a bit before smoking them. The second is that these blends have reinforced my commitment to learning to sip vs puff my pipe. The D&R blends I have tried just do not last as long as I would like unless I really slow down by just barely sipping away. Not only has this increased my enjoyment of the D&R blends, but my other regular tobaccos are enjoyed even more now that I am improving my new slower cadence. Heck, I am even finding the wide open draw of an unfiltered cob does not bother me near as much when I focus on much smaller sips.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I really enjoyed my tins of Rimboche S.J. and Two Timer Gold. So I ordered a 1 lb. bag of the Two Timer Gold and it was beyond dry, with a large amount of tobacco dust. So I'm a little gun shy now. I loved the stuff, but I feel cheated when I have to toss-out an ounce or two of dust. Maybe I just got a bag that had been handled a little too roughly, idk.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I would like to try D&R, what ones would you recommend?
My favorite current tobaccos:

Nightcap

Bothy Flake

Irish Flake

HH Bold Kentucky

London Mixture

Elizabethan Mixture

HH Latakia Flake

Royal Yatch

PS Proper English

Escudo

Squadron Leader

Robert Lewis 123 Mixture
I don't like Burley. I like a medium to full blend.
Thanks.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since you listed Elizabethan, Escudo, and some Latakia blends, I would think any of the Rimboché blends might be worth a try. From my experience, Rimboché SJ wouldn't be too far off the mark.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
With the greater volume we get buying the dry leaf and the lower unit cost overall, it still comes out to a good deal, even if we have to dispose of the last ounce.
I do hate waste, also, but it's still a value.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've experimented a bit. I just mixed about 50-50% some Picayune and Ramback Balkan.
I'm enjoying it very much. Picayune is the Perique monster and Ramback Balkan is various Orientals with a bright, citrus-y VA. Uncleyoda, the Picayune does have some burley, but, to my limited experience, does not seem overbearing.
The combination cuts back the Picayune uber-pepper assault a bit and you can still taste the VA's and Orientals pretty good.
I'm trying to determine a name for my creation:
Cyprian Crawfish?

Macedonian Mudbug?
I think Aegean Cajun! :mrgreen:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.