PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Rocketman by Elton John. I had read the Ray Bradbury short story that this was based on, and this song was in response to Bowie's Space Oddity. Bowie's song is pretty good too.
That song always gave me a vibe like The Illustrated Man or Martian Chronicles, I had never heard that Bernie Taupin had been inspired by Bradbury. thank you.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Yea, I feel that. I mean... he is singing about a "rocket man". It's a tough call. I think I'll sit on the sofa and contemplate it for the remainder of the day.

I never realized that Elton didn't write any of his lyrics. I recently heard an interview with his long term lyricist who has a book out or something.
Yes, his longtime lyricist is Bernie Taupin. I found out when the tribute album Two Rooms came out.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Speaking of cheezy songs, the 1970's were nowhere NEAR as bad as the early-mid 1960's when novelty songs were a "thing", and silliness for its own sake became an arms race.

Here are two of the more memorable ones (for anyone curious about how bizarre broadcast radio could be back in The Day):

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Norman Blake's "Fields of November"

"Brown Suger" by the Stones

Lots of John Denver

"Panama Red" New Riders of the Purple Sage

Santana's "Oye Como Va"

Jimi's "Purple Haze" still going strong in the 70's

Country Joe McDonald (& the Fish), "1,2,3,..." not the song title but most knew this back then)

Lots of John Denver, Frank Zappa, Leon Redbone's "Lazy Bones", Redbone "Come and get Your Love" and must mention Sly Stone and Harry Chapin. Can't name just one 😀
kindly
mike

ps-Anyone recall FM station WGTB in D.C. in the 70's (or even better-- WHSF?)?

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Loved listening to the Dr. Demento show on the radio on Sunday nights, way after I was supposed to be asleep.
I'll add...
Carl Douglas- Kung Fu Fighting
David Dundas- Jeans On
Speaking of cheezy songs, the 1970's were nowhere NEAR as bad as the early-mid 1960's when novelty songs were a "thing", and silliness for its own sake became an arms race.

Here are two of the more memorable ones (for anyone curious about how bizarre broadcast radio could be back in The Day):

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California

Good point. The 60s definitely had their share of silliness. I'm Henry VIII I Am from Herman's Hermits comes to mind.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I like this one. The Buggles. Video killed the radio star. Still sounding great.

I have also included Status Quo. Pictures of matchstick men. Technically 60s, but this is a really pretty version.

Hope you enjoy both.

Got the tune stuck in my head now. 😜

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
In the summer of 1976, there was a radio station in the the Stroudsburg, PA area that played this song several times a day. I was 13, at summer camp, and it really stuck with me.