PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive really no idea. I know there are a lot of olive pipes out of Italy and Spanu did a lot in olive later so my guess is its olive but older so its aged a bit on its own and not white. I could be 100 percent wrong. The seller doesnt say. Ive been wanting a chruchwarden style pipe. This is kind of a different take on the design.

Reactions: tobakenist

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I'm just reading now: it's olive tree.
But I would leave the Clairmont alone and go only for the Tom Spanu briar pipes. They are all made of Sardinian briar (among the finest in the world), he collected it himself, seasoned it with his own method, and then worked it.
In my opinion Spanu's hand is not very clean, they are often a little clumsy pipes, but if you look at the substance they can be an excellent purchase.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@Uguccione I got the pipe and its bigger than it looked and not very comfortable to hold. I didnt even smoke it. I will probably pass it on. I agree. it lacks the detail in many other pipes that I appreciate.

Reactions: Uguccione

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I have two Spanu pipes and they are both very large. One I have never smoked because it just feels too large and unwieldy. I’m still interested in picking up one of his cork pipes though and I’m hoping to find one with reasonable proportions.

Reactions: Sigmund

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I'm just reading now: it's olive tree.
But I would leave the Clairmont alone and go only for the Tom Spanu briar pipes. They are all made of Sardinian briar (among the finest in the world), he collected it himself, seasoned it with his own method, and then worked it.
In my opinion Spanu's hand is not very clean, they are often a little clumsy pipes, but if you look at the substance they can be an excellent purchase.
Several Clairmont are Sardinian briar. Stamped made in Greece also. Thier stem fitting is sub par though.

Reactions: Sigmund

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I have two Spanu pipes and they are both very large
Yes, they are often huge. I saw a wonderful one on ebay.it, grade F3 (fiammata), but it is 17cm long, 25mm hole and weighs 70g.
I have difficulty managing diameters over 22mm. and to hold smokes lasting more than two hours. I had to leave it there :(

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
@LotusEater
Yes, that's what I meant. I have two Radice and a Spanu. In terms of briar they are perhaps on par, but in terms of workmanship the Radices are better made.
(sorry for the OT).

Reactions: LotusEater