PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So I popped my first tin of Sparkplug yesterday. It smells fantastic. I'm a huge fan of GLP blends, and the collaboration with SG makes it doubly interesting.

The "plug" itself is a plug only inasmuch as it consists of pressed leaves (i.e. it's not a cake). However - the plug itself is fairly loose. I tried to slice off flakes to rub out and the plug comes adrift in large chunks. Usually a true plug is a fairly solid block of tobacco that I cut flakes off quite easily.

After the thing partially disintegrating into large leaves, I gave up and dropped it in my noodle press to give it a decent crushing.

What is the experience of others......?

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It is definitely looser than SG plugs, etc, but with a sharp knife, I have no issues cutting fine shag off the plug. Make sure to use a really sharp knife. That said, you could’ve just gotten hold of a really loose one. Lucky you! ?

My brand new fancy dangle Les Fines Lames literally didn't cut it too well.

I guess as a "bladesmith" you have the right tools!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds messy. I think I'd break it up by hand, per Magpiety post, or cut it into pieces with a carbon blade and rub it out further if needed. Glad to know about this before I decide about ordering. It doesn't sound like my favorite cut.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Sounds messy. I think I'd break it up by hand, per Magpiety post, or cut it into pieces with a carbon blade and rub it out further if needed. Glad to know about this before I decide about ordering. It doesn't sound like my favorite cut.
Don’t let it dissuade you from trying it. It’s probably my favorite Pease English blend I’ve tried so far.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I like the blend a lot but the plugs? I've experienced were way too loose, floppy and separated easily. I just cut it all up and mix it together otherwise you'd get a different smoke every time. I think the next one I open up I'll put it in my press for a few days or weeks. Great blend, poor finish work. And maybe re-name it Sparkfluff.

Reactions: FurCoat

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I once asked Pease why his flakes were broken. He said because the flake blends he smoked had come to him as a broken flake, and he liked starting with them to pack a bowl. So familiarity governed that choice.

But pressure so small as to produce an extra crumbly cake would not seem to fit with extent blends where some pressure produced a krumble cake and more produced plug. But only glancing pressure produced Sparkplug, which is unfamiliar.

Perhaps then that press was as whimsical as that made by a chef when as the last gesture of plating a dish he must choose the garnish.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I once asked Pease why his flakes were broken. He said because the flake blends he smoked had come to him as a broken flake, and he liked starting with them to pack a bowl. So familiarity governed that choice.

But pressure so small as to produce an extra crumbly cake would not seem to fit with extent blends where some pressure produced a krumble cake and more produced plug. But only glancing pressure produced Sparkplug, which is unfamiliar.

Perhaps then that press was as whimsical as that made by a chef when as the last gesture of plating a dish he must choose the garnish.
This one isn’t a broken flake or a crumble cake. It’s a whole-leaf plug. The coming apart issues would be of the delamination variety.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I don’t think C&D is really set up to make flakes that hold together. At least I haven’t come across any. Kajun Kake is probably the most solid “kake”-type of theirs that I’ve come across. Maybe they just don’t use any binding agents so they are always broken-flake or floppy-plug. ?‍♂️ Just my observation.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don’t think C&D is really set up to make flakes that hold together. At least I haven’t come across any. Kajun Kake is probably the most solid “kake”-type of theirs that I’ve come across. Maybe they just don’t use any binding agents so they are always broken-flake or floppy-plug. ?‍♂️ Just my observation.
Could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.