PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Title edited for capitalization. See Rule 9!

Spring is a wonderful time of year, but as we know it is "the season for the sneezing". Does the pollen and allergies effect your pipe smoking pleasure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JOHN72 and jbfrady

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I’ve been laid up with a terrible sinus headache for the past two days more than likely due to the pollen count. I try to avoid the outdoors on high pollen days and I smoke outside most of the time so I’ve been smoking a lot less this month. Spring and fall are the worst times for me. Maybe one day I’ll move to the desert.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
It doesn't slow me down.

I have allergies to the pollen and am prone to hay fever. Claritin seems to work well for me, take one when I first wake up and my pollen allergy is mostly in check, at least enough that it doesn't hinder my pipe smoking.

On the occasional days that the Claritin doesn't do the trick, I just skip the pipe. It doesn't bother my throat or something like that, it's just that it's a waste of tobacco if I can't taste it.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
It's occasional, you really don't know when it's going to hit you. Sometimes stress can bring out an indescribable cocktail. I don't smoke at all, until the storm passes.

Reactions: WVOldFart

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Title edited for capitalization. See Rule 9!

Spring is a wonderful time of year, but as we know it is "the season for the sneezing". Does the pollen and allergies effect your pipe smoking pleasure?
rarely but when it does, kind of doesn't feel that way because it effects everything at that point. Though pipes do seem to reduce the effects of pollen for me, well for a short time slightly longer then the length of a smoke.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I too suffer from allergies. I take Flonase in the evening and Claritin in the morning. Helps most days, but to answer your question, I power through and smoke my pipes.

Reactions: WVOldFart

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
When I was a kid, my seasonal allergies were so bad that I was even briefly hospitalized because of them. Thankfully, they're just a minor annoyance these days. If they make me congested, then yes, that negatively impacts my smoking. Otherwise, it isn't too big a deal. I find that if I want to smoke but my allergies are being particularly bothersome, then I will smoke fairly simple blends; no point trying to enjoy a kitchen sink blend if I can't enjoy the nuances. In such cases, my ever faithful companions, Briar Fox and Haunted Bookshop, see me through.