PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
What are your thoughts on Stanwell pipes?
I notice that few of the big online retailers carry them. Not sure why not.
They have very nice models and seem to be an old respected brand. But it's weird that they are not sold by the places I usually buy new pipes.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Probably the brand I have this most of but all are from the Danish factory. I also enjoy they’re seconds, Royal Danish; you’ll find these displaying the Crown but not the “S”. — Same factory, different line.

I’m sure the pipes made in the Italian factory, the ones you are now considering, are fine pipes. — I just have never owned one. Stanwell is a fine old brand, you can’t go wrong.

I think the Stanwells being made now are good pipes for smoking, but I am beyond just good pipes now, with over 100 pipes in my collection. I will peruse the estates for the old ones occasionally, looking for Eltang, Ivarsson, Chonowitsch’s designs.

Historically, Stanwells made in Denmark were rivals to Dunhills, creating some of the best pipe designers in the world… allowing them to hone their skills and creativity. They established the Danish aesthetic for pipe designs.

But, they chose profits over art, when they moved their production to Italy. This is good for people who want affordability and function. But, not so great for those who are looking for that historical connection or aesthetic.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I have several older Stanwell's, including a very deeply bent Diplomat Anne Julie egg. I love every one of them. But I have not smoked a new one.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Like many others I haven't tried the Stanwells from Italy and I wouldn't hesitate to but I wish they would release some of their retired shapes as POYs. I think this would create good buzz for them.

Also like you mentioned I don't see many (or really any) of the big online stores carrying them. Where are people getting their Stanwells these days?

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Like many others I haven't tried the Stanwells from Italy and I wouldn't hesitate to but I wish they would release some of their retired shapes as POYs. I think this would create good buzz for them.

Also like you mentioned I don't see many (or really any) of the big online stores carrying them. Where are people getting their Stanwells these days?
Stanwell Pipes, Tobacco, and Accessories - Pipes and Cigars

Reactions: AroEnglish

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes and Cigars seems to have the best selection of new Stanwells. I have only the Italian made Stanwells and find them high quality, durable, and nicely finished. I can't compare them to the Danish made per se, but they are certainly worth their prices.

Reactions: SBC

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Didnt they come up with some Danish made incomplete pipes awhile back that needed stems and stained and were completed in Italy?

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I think that Stanwell is one of the most underrated production pipes made today. IMO they are better than Savinelli at similar price points. I've got both Danish and Italian made Stanwells are they are uniformly excellent smokers.
My opinion also. My best smoking "car" pipe is an Italian Stanwell. I treat it very badly, but it holds up. And their shapes over the years have many times been awesome, due apparently to the influence of several big names in pipedom. I also have several of the Danish production. They all perform well.

Reactions: PipesRock

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Forum sponsor Danish Pipe Shop has over 300 in stock:

I've a number of old Danish made Stanwells that's I'm fond of. The one Italian made model that I have is nicely made and smokes well. It has lousy grain though.

Reactions: Deano

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have several Stanwells - all from their Danish era.
I cannot comment on the newer product out of Italy as I don’t have any

Some I bought new in the 1970s
Others were bought as estates in the past few years.

They have a lot of different lines (very confusing as to the heirachy)
They also have a bewildering number of second lines.
The only difference that I can see between the Stanwells and their seconds is aesthetics ie nicer looking grain.

Their designers are a roll-call of some of the most famous Danish pipe makers.

I find Stanwells to be very good pipes - design, quality (smokeability) and value.

If I were to start “collecting” pipes all over again, I’d concentrate on the Danish era Stanwells (and their seconds)

The Danish Pipe Shop has unsmoked Danish era estates from time to time.
Check their estate Stanwell section frequently. They get snapped up vey quickly