PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Just wondering what the difference are in stem material? Most pipes I see have either vulcanite or acrylic and I think I know the basic differences with those, but what about lucite and Ebonite? A few Artisans pipe makers use Ebonite and Vermont freehand sells lucite. What's the difference? Any pros and cons with all four materials?

Reactions: AJL67
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I prefer softer stems for comfort. Acrylic is easier to maintain and keep looking nice, but it's not comfortable to me. Everybody's different, it's just what's comfortable for you. If at all possible, maybe find some estates with examples of different material stems so you get a feel for their differences. Or hell, have an artisan make you a stem for a pipe you currently own.

Reactions: AJL67 and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Ebonite is made by vulcanizing natural rubber. The two terms are interchangeable. Acrylic and lucite are also generally the same, however, lucite is usually rated as a higher quality of acrylic.

I find that vulcanite stems feels better on the teeth, but lucite is easier to maintain and offers an infinite selection of colors and appearances.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
How can you tell them apart if you don't have a product description? (Besides leaving them in the sun!) I know acrylic is harder, but how to tell for sure?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ebonite and Vulcanite are two words for the same basic material, but, there are different types which contain different amounts of sulfur. The higher grades contain less sulfur.
Likewise, acrylics come in different formulations with differing characteristics, including hardness. I’ve had several replacement stems made by @georged that use an acrylic that feels like Vulcanite, so I get the best of both worlds.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
There have already been plenty of clarifying answers here, but I wanted to add that my pipes with Juma stems have become favorites. They feel about halfway between acrylic and ebonite and supposedly won't oxidize. As a clencher who is terribly lazy about pipe maintenance this earns a lot of points for me. I still smoke my acrylic (usually with a softie bit) and ebonite stemmed pipes just as often, but I'd love to have some of their stems redone in Juma.

Reactions: OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one has mentioned horn. Ropp makes a line of pipes with horn stems. If I remember correctly, sablebrush has praised horn as being a good stem material. I've been tempted, and some of the Ropp pipes with horn stems have made my short list when i'm buying a pipe, but I always finally chose something else.

Between vulcanite and acrylic, I find vulcanite a touch more comfortable and acrylic easier to maintain with no pesky oxidation. Heavier pipes are definitely better with vulcanite as a softer stem.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
As mentioned above, there are not many differences between some of these names. Ebonite is a fancy name for vulcanite, and while there are some differences in sulfur content, its more of an antiquated name. The original differences do not really apply, you really just pay for fancy names and more color options. Lucite and acrylic cover all kinds of resins and plastics that fall broadly in that category, so the more you branch out the more differences you will notice in the feel on your teeth.

Reactions: LotusEater

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I've noted before on Forums, I don't think some of the inexperienced staffers at online retail don't know the difference between vulcanite and acrylic. I've ordered two pipes advertised as having vulcanite stems that had acrylic. Both were fairly light weight, so it made no difference to me. But these came from a retailer who is otherwise notably reliable, so I attribute the misstatement to new employees who simply haven't learned the difference. I could tell just taking the pipes out of the socks without any further examination or handling. Sure enough, acrylic.

Reactions: LotusEater

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
No one has mentioned horn. Ropp makes a line of pipes with horn stems. If I remember correctly, sablebrush has praised horn as being a good stem material. I've been tempted, and some of the Ropp pipes with horn stems have made my short list when i'm buying a pipe, but I always finally chose something else.

Between vulcanite and acrylic, I find vulcanite a touch more comfortable and acrylic easier to maintain with no pesky oxidation. Heavier pipes are definitely better with vulcanite as a softer stem.
I have a Ropp warden good briar and draw , might check out a horn stem , and post up