PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I fell in love with the smell of pipe tobacco from my grandfather's truck which was marinated in the sweet smell of what I can only guess was some kind of English aromatic ( Sutliffs Bulma Road). I never even knew he smoked a pipe until after his passing. When people talk about they love the smell of pipe tobacco what type of tobacco comes to mind for you? These days I know they make colognes and candles that are supposed to smell like pipes which I've never smelled but just curious what a person would identify pipe tobacco smell to smell like?

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Probably Captain Black White or some kind of heavy cherry aromatic. RLP-6 and 1-Q both have that classic vanilla aromatic smell that is crowd pleasing. Of course, those are all the most popular pipe tobaccos so if you were throw a stone and hit a pipe smoker, they are probably smoking one of those.

Interestingly, though I have my own nostalgia about that classic pipe tobacco smell, my favorite room note is the classic scent of natural Virginias and Orientals that are akin to a quality cigarette. I also smoke a lot of Latakia blends. Will those around me (especially my family members) years later think of the classic pipe tobacco much differently than people my age remembered from childhood?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This comes up occasionally.

The closest thing I've found since is that it's an old deertongue ghost.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Lane 1Q is the most common ghost that I’ve encountered in estate pipes. Hate it.
That said, my nostalgic olfactory nudge come from cherry blends. My dad and my mom’s cousin’s husband smoked these. I recently tried GH cherry-whatever and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it!

Reactions: That Guy

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
I’d vote for Prince Albert as the old time nostalgic aroma. My personal favorites would either be Inns of Court or Edward G Robinson. For my wife to be within twenty feet of me while I’m smoking it has to be Eileen’s Dream.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
When I think of a a "stereotypical" pipe smell I'm reminded of my grandpa. That scent is similar to that of an old codger burley blend that came from a pouch.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
For me it was the smell of Prince Albert mixed 50/50 with Middleton's Cherry Blend, my grandfather smoked it almost exclusively, and the smell entranced me as a child.
I tried smoking it in his memory one day and found out that smoking it, and smelling it are two very different things.
Let's just say some things are better left as childhood memories!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The “pipe smell”, at least in Greece was/is typically Clan or Captain Black, as this is what 95% smoke.

A few old pipes I’ve gotten smelled of cupboards, or antique shops, it quickly goes away with a few smokes though.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
The first time I encountered the smell of pipe smoking was a older German gentleman who smoked a very sweet smelling toffee like aromatic, he and his wife were always there when we went on the yearly skiing trip to Austria. I have no idea what it was and could never ask as he died before I got a interest in smoking.

Now I wouldn't smoke that blend, but it smelled great. He had to smoke outside and did so next to the room where all the skiing boots where stored. He made sure he exorcised the smell of sweaty feet from the boots. Now imagine how cloths smelled after a week.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
For me it's Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh regular. My memory was also Middleton's Apple Pipe Tobacco. It wasn't full blown aromatic memories with me. It was the classic "pipey" aroma to where it was masculine with a brown sugar almost thing going on. Kind of hard to explain.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Half & Half is the blend most pipe smoker's I knew smoked. Just warm smelling stuff. I never really associate pipe smoke with tobacco smell. When someone says tobacco smell, first thing in my head is stale cigarettes smell. But when someone says pipe smoke, something warm and comforting.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
The smell of half and half and captain black white smoked in the same pipe but not blended together. Just alternating between the two. Someday I may try to replicate that in a cheap drug store pipe or an entry level yelo kaywoodie. I never knew the pipe but it was from his time in his 20s which was in the late 40s or early 50s.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smell nostalgia usually hinges on at least some aromatic flavoring. Like, people think of Granger as non-aromatic, but actually it has molasses and anisette. It's that slight sweetness in the whiff that makes us remember dad's or grandpa's pipe.

Non-aromatics are the elemental tobacco aroma, but for nostalgia, it's the flavorings that last in our memories.

Reactions: sardonicus87

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
For me it was either captain black white or Middleton cherry as those are the two blends my uncle Ricky smoked when I was a kid.