PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I was going to post this but didn't know if anyone would even know who the hell he is.
This one hurts for me.
I'm lucky to have seen Shellac in March of 2020, less than a week before everything shut down.
I chatted him up about one of our favorite bands, Silkworm.

Of course, he had a strong connection to my home- Louisville Ky- by way of bands like Slint/Squirrel Bait, Bastro, Bitch Magnet, and others.

The Breeders and all the Deal sister projects rate high with me, and they too were close with Steve.

Requiescat Albini.

IMG_2588.jpeg
- snap I took of Shellac in Louisville, 2020.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I was going to post this but didn't know if anyone would even know who the hell he is.
This one hurts for me.
I'm lucky to have seen Shellac in March of 2020, less than a week before everything shut down.

Of course, he had a strong connection to my home- Louisville Ky- by way of bands like Slint/Squirrel Bait, Bastro, Bitch Magnet, and others.

The Breeders and all the Deal sister projects rate high with me, and they too were close with Steve.

Requiescat Albini.

View attachment 308748
As well as a great producer he seemed like a really cool guy. He produced so many iconic bands. Must've been awesome to have a chat with him.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Wow I was just talking with my wife about him last night. Talking about how he produced some amazing albums and I remember reading somewhere about him making the Pixies use metal picks on surfer Rosa. I don’t know why that stuck with me but it did. RIP.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
This one hurts for me.

Requiescat Albini.

View attachment 308748
Damn I didn’t realize he worked with the Breeders. I love Pod. Such a great lp

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Indeed. The drummer on that record, Britt, is a sweet guy. Hell of a drummer. I got to play on the snare he used on Pod.

Here's a pic of me and my fav Breeder, Kelley.

View attachment 308778
Holy shit! This pic!
Been a Deal fan for literal decades.
Last Splash is an all time great for me.
This pic is great.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Holy shit! This pic!
Been a Deal fan for literal decades.
Last Splash is an all time great for me.
This pic is great.
I've met Kelley a bunch, but Kim just once. They're the best.
I'm sure they're destroyed right now
His wife, Heather- I can't fathom.
Close friends like Tim Midyett (who have dealt with musical death in their life) get hit a different way I imagine.

I used to LOVE reading his food blog - mariobatalivoice. After that went dormant he started posting dinner on Instagram - whatimadeheatherfordinner.

Still, I wish all those great blogs he wrote about cooking were still available.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I've met Kelley a bunch, but Kim just once. They're the best.
I'm sure they're destroyed right now
His wife, Heather- I can't fathom.
Close friends like Tim Midyett (who have dealt with musical death in their life) get hit a different way I imagine.

I used to LOVE reading his food blog - mariobatalivoice. After that went dormant he started posting dinner on Instagram - whatimadeheatherfordinner.

Still, I wish all those great blogs he wrote about cooking were still available.
I wasn’t aware of his food blogs or Instagram page, only his engineering work and most of what I’m familiar with was from the previous century. I think Slint’s Spiderland was the first Albini production I was aware of. I still listen to Helmet’s Meantime. In Utero is my favorite Nirvana record.
Anyway, he’ll be sorely missed.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I actually like the Rapeman record the best of all his projects, but that's probably more to do with the fact that it was one of maybe a dozen cassettes I kept in the car for a long time.

But only the Shellac stuff is on 180g virgin vinyl where the rhythm section just makes me happy.

Imagine a time
Where that cigar was ironic.
You've been at it so long, now
it's chronic.