Stockton, Royal Twist, Dark Twist - What's the Difference?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
So, Mac Baren makes three separate coin cut blends with a mix of virginia and kentucky. For anyone who has smoked all three, I'm curious - what's the difference? Thanks

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Try and you will see ??.
Yes, I concur, we are all TAD enablers here. puffy

Except two of those aren't available stateside currently. :(

Stockton is a great gutbuster of a smoke. Dark Twist is much more refined experience compared to Stockton, but still plenty of slap n tickle. If you want to try both, buy the Dark Twist and smoke a bowl of only the coins with DFK centers - that's essentially Stockton.

I would like to try Royal Twist, but the run was too small and it sold out too quickly.

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
Except two of those aren't available stateside currently. :(

Stockton is a great gutbuster of a smoke. Dark Twist is much more refined experience compared to Stockton, but still plenty of slap n tickle. If you want to try both, buy the Dark Twist and smoke a bowl of only the coins with DFK centers - that's essentially Stockton.

I would like to try Royal Twist, but the run was too small and it sold out too quickly.
Is gutbuster good? I haven't heard that expression before.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Is gutbuster good? I haven't heard that expression before.

Hahaha! Yes, it is good in this case. What I meant is that the DFK is stout, strong, and full in body, leading to those characteristics in the overall smoking experience.

I do wish I had grabbed a tin of the Royal Twist as I would love to see what Mac Baren does with Perique, but I guess I will have to wait for next year's release, else look for a trade. I am a firm believer in Stockton and Dark Twist and have started cellaring them to a slow and steady degree.

Jun 23, 2019
Yeah, they're all cased differently.

There's such a strong sentiment against 'aromatics' a lot of blenders stop noting the casing flavors (following Esoterica's lead?) in their descriptions.

That said, I really enjoy Dark Twist and Vanilla Roll Cake - very very similar, with one leaning towards a caramelized maple syrup and the other leaning toasted vanilla seeds.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Yeah, they're all cased differently.

There's such a strong sentiment against 'aromatics' a lot of blenders stop noting the casing flavors (following Esoterica's lead?) in their descriptions.

That said, I really enjoy Dark Twist and Vanilla Roll Cake - very very similar, with one leaning towards a caramelized maple syrup and the other leaning toasted vanilla seeds.

Interesting. Now that you mention it, it does seem like Stockton has little - if any - of the maple sugar character of Dark Twist. I wonder if they toned down/eliminated the maple sugar in Stockton. I had always assumed Stockton was just the dark coins, but otherwise the same, but I need to revisit both at length to see if I am the victim of the power of false assumptions.

Jun 23, 2019
Interesting. Now that you mention it, it does seem like Stockton has little - if any - of the maple sugar character of Dark Twist. I wonder if they toned down/eliminated the maple sugar in Stockton. I had always assumed Stockton was just the dark coins, but otherwise the same, but I need to revisit both at length to see if I am the victim of the power of false assumptions.

TBF I haven't had Stockton in a while, from memory it's a natural virginia/cavendish maybe even toasted cavendish sweetness. Dark Twist is definitely a maple syrup/caramel casing, which I think works really well with its tobacco components.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Unable to get Stockton here, I've not had a chance to try it. I like Dark Twist quite a bit. The maple is pretty light, but it's there. It's a smooth semi-sweet kind of smoke. I ordered a tin of Royal Twist early enough to get a few more but didn't - I was a little underwhelmed, mostly because my cellar is thick with VaPer - Kentucky blends that I love. There's no doubt it's good, I just have so much of that venue I hesitated and it cost me the opportunity. I was wondering how Roll Cake would compare to any of the others? (like Vanilla roll cake too!)

Reactions: highwindows

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
Thank you all for your help (and, ahem, encouragement). As Stockton is available all year round here in Europe, I will order myself a tin sometime soon.