PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
This may have been beaten like a drum with answers before with regards to tins, but I’m not sure I’ve seen any info with regards to plastic bags mailed from vendors.

As I understand it, a cracked tin of tobacco shouldn’t dry out and be very serviceable and smokable for several months. well, my TAD kicked in and I picked up a bunch of 2 oz bags of loose tobacco. I get in 2-3 bowls during week and 4-6 over weekend. I’m pretty sure I can get through the 7 bags over the next month or so without worrying too much about dryness . . .no? cause if these need to be jarred within a few weeks I need to jump on Amazon and restock some jars

Reactions: MtnGeo

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have as many as 30 different tobacco blends open at any one time - in a mixture of tins, jars and samples (in ziplock) baggies for 6-24 months.

Obviously remnants in tins and baggies may be somewhat dry, but this has not noticeably impaired their flavour.

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
This may have been beaten like a drum with answers before with regards to tins, but I’m not sure I’ve seen any info with regards to plastic bags mailed from vendors.

As I understand it, a cracked tin of tobacco shouldn’t dry out and be very serviceable and smokable for several months. well, my TAD kicked in and I picked up a bunch of 2 oz bags of loose tobacco. I get in 2-3 bowls during week and 4-6 over weekend. I’m pretty sure I can get through the 7 bags over the next month or so without worrying too much about dryness . . .no? cause if these need to be jarred within a few weeks I need to jump on Amazon and restock some jars
Jar them suckers!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depends on your climate, but a regular baggie is good for a week or so. Heavier plastic might stretch that out to a a couple of months. The 1 lb heavy plastic bags that some blenders use can be good for a couple of years, max, as long as they haven't been opened. Go much past these limits and you may end up with mummy dust.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
If it drys out past your smoking preference, rehydrate back to your liking. You may even learn that it smokes/tastes better on the dryer end of the spectrum.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
In addition to what's already been posted, I'm gonna copy and paste what I posted a few days ago...

If you're going to be in the game for a while, it will benefit you to look into some more permanent storage options.

Ceramic jars that are glazed and have silicone seals will last a long time. Like the promo jars that were being given out a few years back by some of the manufacturers. I have several, but I don't use them because they are rather large and unwieldly, and if I'm setting aside that large a quantity of tobacco I just put it in Mylar and stuff it in my cellar for several years.

Glass bail jars (Fido, Kilner) that were made to keep stuff fresh (not the cheap knock offs) with rubber seals work very well too. The tobacco I keep in my working rotation is stored in glass bail jars, and some of it has been sitting around for several years. Depending on how often I open those jars, at some point the tobacco may become somewhat dry, but that's most likely because of all the air changes due to the frequency of opening. Rubber seals will degrade, but if the jars are kept in a dark, cool, dry location that will keep them from drying and cracking for a hell of a long time. (Years)

The infamous Mason Jar... I don't know what the red goop is around the edge of the lid. I've got Virginias stashed away with 15 years of age on them. They weren't vacuumed, and the rings were tightened after sealing. The lids are domed up from expansion. If the rings weren't tight, the lids probably would have popped off by now. Ball only guarantees the seals on the lids for 18 months, so take it for what it's worth. And I'm not going to melt down paraffin wax to seal over the lids... Incidentally, bee's wax contracts when it cools, so I wouldn't recommend using it.

I would have to say Mylar is probably the most idiot proof long term storage method. However, leaving enough space in the bag for expansion is a must. I've had bags of Virginias that looked like Mylar balloons after several years because I jammed them chock full. There is a possibility that the seals could split open.

Finally, tobacco is a pretty resilient product. Manufacturers have tons of tobacco sitting in warehouses that's not hermetically sealed. If it does dry out somewhat, it's rehydrated by spraying or steaming.

If tobacco sits for decades in a dry atmosphere and the oils in it evaporate, then it's toast. If it dries out a bit after several years, I just add a few drops of water to it, shake it around and set it aside for a few days or weeks. Then it's fine.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
In addition to what's already been posted, I'm gonna copy and paste what I posted a few days ago...

If you're going to be in the game for a while, it will benefit you to look into some more permanent storage options.

Ceramic jars that are glazed and have silicone seals will last a long time. Like the promo jars that were being given out a few years back by some of the manufacturers. I have several, but I don't use them because they are rather large and unwieldly, and if I'm setting aside that large a quantity of tobacco I just put it in Mylar and stuff it in my cellar for several years.

Glass bail jars (Fido, Kilner) that were made to keep stuff fresh (not the cheap knock offs) with rubber seals work very well too. The tobacco I keep in my working rotation is stored in glass bail jars, and some of it has been sitting around for several years. Depending on how often I open those jars, at some point the tobacco may become somewhat dry, but that's most likely because of all the air changes due to the frequency of opening. Rubber seals will degrade, but if the jars are kept in a dark, cool, dry location that will keep them from drying and cracking for a hell of a long time. (Years)

The infamous Mason Jar... I don't know what the red goop is around the edge of the lid. I've got Virginias stashed away with 15 years of age on them. They weren't vacuumed, and the rings were tightened after sealing. The lids are domed up from expansion. If the rings weren't tight, the lids probably would have popped off by now. Ball only guarantees the seals on the lids for 18 months, so take it for what it's worth. And I'm not going to melt down paraffin wax to seal over the lids... Incidentally, bee's wax contracts when it cools, so I wouldn't recommend using it.

I would have to say Mylar is probably the most idiot proof long term storage method. However, leaving enough space in the bag for expansion is a must. I've had bags of Virginias that looked like Mylar balloons after several years because I jammed them chock full. There is a possibility that the seals could split open.

Finally, tobacco is a pretty resilient product. Manufacturers have tons of tobacco sitting in warehouses that's not hermetically sealed. If it does dry out somewhat, it's rehydrated by spraying or steaming.

If tobacco sits for decades in a dry atmosphere and the oils in it evaporate, then it's toast. If it dries out a bit after several years, I just add a few drops of water to it, shake it around and set it aside for a few days or weeks. Then it's fine.
A lot of good info! I've been on a buying spree lately trying to find the perfect tabacco. I've been afraid to open too many of them in fear of not being able to smoke it all before it went bad. What is Mylar storage? I'm familiar with Mylar as a blueprint printing surface but not storage.

Reactions: Beakerr

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I have a number of small samples in baggies that aren’t worth monopolizing a ball jar. I keep the baggies in a Tupperware container all together. One for VAs and one for Latakia blends.

Reactions: niblicck and romaso