PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I saw some older threads on this but I was wondering what people thought about storing flakes or cakes once out of the tin and transferred to jars. Is there any advantage to keeping them in flakes as opposed to breaking them up? Will they age better one way or the other?

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I prefer to store them intact as flakes or coins, mostly because I usually fold and stuff. If the mood strikes me I can always rub them out later.

Hard to say how either method affects how a tobacco will age. Each blend ages differently, some improve, some don't or even degrade; some age quickly some relatively slowly. You might get a more definitive answer if you specified which particular blend(s) you're asking about.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I started off keeping them in jars as cakes. But then realized I had to wait hours for it to dry out. So I started breaking it up first and then storing it that way. Takes less dry time for me this way.

However it "probably" ages better in cake form. But I don't buy tobacco to age.

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
Has anyone ever tried storing them in airtight tupperware containers?

I've got some cake sitting in its tin in a rubbermade brilliance, because I'm not sure if i can be troubled cutting and breaking it apart and jarring it.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I started off keeping them in jars as cakes. But then realized I had to wait hours for it to dry out. So I started breaking it up first and then storing it that way. Takes less dry time for me this way.

However it "probably" ages better in cake form. But I don't buy tobacco to age.
Thanks, that makes sense. I don't buy it to age but it might sit in the jar for up to a year or so and I was just wondering if the different tobaccos would meld better pressed or loose. Most likely either way the difference wouldn't be that noticeable to make a difference.

I kind of like to break them up for the same reason you mentioned so that I can just grab it and go by doing the work up front.

Reactions: didimauw

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never opened a tin and then transferred it to a jar; I will never do that as I prefer aging my tobacco in their original tins. I bought all my bulk years ago and used some fairly large jars with silicone gaskets. I have seen the red rubber on the canning jars deteriorate in a decade or so.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I transfer mine to jars, but not in any hurry. I actually like them to "air out" for a week or two after opening.
For flakes or cakes I smoke alot, like almost daily, I rub em out or grins them to a ready rub to save drying and packing time.
For the more "special occasion" flakes or ones I smoke less frequently, I like to leave them intact. There's also some I leave intact because i Like folding them, but that's not many- as I rub almost all my flakes.
But if it's in a jar, I don't think it matters either way if it's in Flake form or rubbed out. It's going to retain moisture content and age the same I'd imagine. I'd say it just all depends on your preference

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
But if it's in a jar, I don't think it matters either way if it's in Flake form or rubbed out. It's going to retain moisture content and age the same I'd imagine. I'd say it just all depends on your preference
That was my thought too, but it's good to hear it from others- Thanks