PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I picked up some Italian dry cigars and I see conflicting reports on humidifying them vs not. I’m thinking about splitting the difference and using a dedicated small tupperdor with a Boveda 49% 320 gram packet and just chucking the little cardboard 5 packs in there. Is there any reason to believe that this system will over humidify them and be a problem with long term storage?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Haha opposing schools of thought on this is super fitting. I just read directly from Toscano that they recommend either 65% or nothing whatsoever 🙄 so that’s helpful. I would’ve been fine being in the no humidification camp until today when I found an old toscano that had been hiding in my pipe gear for a few years. I went to give it a little squeeze to see what sort of state it was in and it audibly cracked and split down the middle. So I don’t like the nothing at all method for long term storage. For what it’s worth, a site called italiansmokes.com recommends not putting them in a humidor with regular cigars, but I’m sure that’s infinitely debatable. If there’s no danger of messing them up by being humidified, I guess I’ll probably go that route.

Reactions: sparker69

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Haha opposing schools of thought on this is super fitting. I just read directly from Toscano that they recommend either 65% or nothing whatsoever 🙄 so that’s helpful. I would’ve been fine being in the no humidification camp until today when I found an old toscano that had been hiding in my pipe gear for a few years. I went to give it a little squeeze to see what sort of state it was in and it audibly cracked and split down the middle. So I don’t like the nothing at all method for long term storage. For what it’s worth, a site called italiansmokes.com recommends not putting them in a humidor with regular cigars, but I’m sure that’s infinitely debatable. If there’s no danger of messing them up by being humidified, I guess I’ll probably go that route.

Just cause it cracked doesnt mean its bad. It is a dry cigar for a reason and should be smoked that way. They come from the factory dry

Reactions: anotherbob

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
For what it’s worth, a site called italiansmokes.com recommends not putting them in a humidor with regular cigars, but I’m sure that’s infinitely debatable. If there’s no danger of messing them up by being humidified, I guess I’ll probably go that route.
They could improve…I mean taint other, expensive cigars with their smell
I am a pleb, I easily prefer Toscanos to any other cigar.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Just cause it cracked doesnt mean its bad. It is a dry cigar for a reason and should be smoked that way. They come from the factory dry
I can certainly appreciate that they’re dry by design and I have no problem smoking them dry. However, if the wrapper cracks in half and is no longer structurally sound/readily smokable then it is objectively bad, in my opinion.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
They could improve…I mean taint other, expensive cigars with their smell
I am a pleb, I easily prefer Toscanos to any other cigar.
The reasoning from this Italian cigars website was that, as a result of being dry/fire cured or whatever, the dry cigars are not prone to the lurking tobacco beetle larvae as are other traditional cigars, and they could be unnecessarily tainted in the event that the larvae hatch in your regular humidor. Obviously, just store your cigars at a reasonable temp and RH and it should never be an issue anyway. Seeing as how there seems to be no experience with humidifying them screwing with the leaf in the long term, I think I’ll go the humidified route for the time being and play it safe. The aged toscano splitting down the middle this morning was quite disappointing.

Reactions: BronzeAgePiper

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I have no experience with putting them in a humidor, but I suppose it depends on how humid you keep your humidor. Toscanos are meant to be stored dry. I find them to be wrapped pretty tightly and are often a firm draw even when dry; I'd guess that could become problematic if stored in a humidor long enough to really moisten up.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
In the past I smoked them humidified for decades (even at 70/75%) because this way they were softer and less aggressive on the palate.
However, current productions, perhaps to meet today's taste which prefers less aggressive flavours, do not need to be 'softened' with induced humidification and are very smokable even dry.
However, the Toscano cigar is a robust cigar that does not fear any mistreatment or changes in humidity.

Then there are producers like CTS (Compagnia Toscana Sigari) which for me - and not only for me - today is at the top of quality, but it is recommended NOT to humidify them.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I think the reason for not mixing with non-Italian cigars is that the Italian Kentucky can create flavour issues with the other cigars.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I've been smoking Toscanos for years - Extravecchios, Garibaldis, Classicos and I picked up a TON when I was in Italy last year of all the types I can't find at home, (the pic a few have already seen,). I've never put them in a humidor and they've always smoked fine - I cut my ammezzato, which is traditional for Italian cigars. In a few different Italian cigar groups that I participate, the Italians usually humidify them - especially the other brands, (in Italy they call it "fumo lento". And then, there is another vision whereas, you do it old-school: where you'd to go to the "bar"(cafe in Italy) for your afternoon caffè or with your morning cTreasure Chest 2023.jpgappuccino you'd pick one out of the old dusty glass jar on the counter and you're good to go. It all just depends on your way of thinking.
One thing for sure though: I'd never put them in with my Cubans. The Kentucky tobacco is really strong and I think it could end up creating some havoc with the flavours of my other cigars. If you want to humidify, I'd suggest a dedicated humidor. But with their size, you could fit quite a few in. Buona fumata a tutti!