PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RexHiemis

Lurker
Mar 17, 2024
Istanbul, Turkey
Do we know the story and the history behind the names of the pipe shapes? For example, why do we name as Dublin (well, I can guess that a bit) or lumberjack, diplomat etc.?

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Some, I'm sure, because their bowls resemble other objects or the whole pipe their proportions - Apple, Pot, Chimney, Bulldog, Horn, Squashed Tomato. Cob, presumably from a corn husk. Rhodesian and Zulu presumably to differentiate old colonial sympathies. Churchwarden, to keep sin as far away as possible.

Others, why? I prefer a Prince, no idea of the source of that. Billiard? Not a clue.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
the etymology behind the names are quite subjective
A lot of pipe shape names are self-explanatory
But often different makers will use different names for the one shape.

The etymology for names can be quite obscure eg the earlier French name for a Bulldog was "Haiti" and a billiard was "neogene"

I'm happy if people refer to a fully bent pipe as a "Hungarian" rather than an "oom paul"

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
A lot of pipe shape names are self-explanatory
But often different makers will use different names for the one shape.

The etymology for names can be quite obscure eg the earlier French name for a Bulldog was "Haiti" and a billiard was "neogene"

I'm happy if people refer to a fully bent pipe as a "Hungarian" rather than an "oom paul"
The oddity behind Oom Paul is curious bc I was raised saying it due to the older generations smoking a pipe. Does anyway know how the Hungarian term came to be?

Reactions: Scottmi

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
From Pipedia...

"Most agree that the Prince is named after King Edward VII, former Prince of Wales. The Prince pipe shape is also called Prince of Wales. Indeed, it is believed that it was invented by Prince Albert (Edouard VII) of England”
Thank you! Eddie7 eh? Isn't it claimed that when he died, his regular daily consumption was 12 cigars and 20 cigarettes? I could see him squeezing in a bowl of Balkan for elevenses.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@woodsroad: Never a truer word spoken. How do you explain the 'Nimrod Lighter'? In the U.K Nimrod is a word to describe a 'Differently Abled' person or someone who might be 'Mentally Challenged'. I have often had visions of some Mad Men marketing department trying to come up with a name for a pipe lighter and someone from Alabama saying 'Let call it the 'Retard'. It really slips off the tongue'. rotf

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
@woodsroad: Never a truer word spoken. How do you explain the 'Nimrod Lighter'? In the U.K Nimrod is a word to describe a 'Differently Abled' person or someone who might be 'Mentally Challenged'. I have often had visions of some Mad Men marketing department trying to come up with a name for a pipe lighter and someone from Alabama saying 'Let call it the 'Retard'. It really slips off the tongue'. rotf
Especially in the UK where certain words we use here in a derogatory manner they use as everyday expressions. I actually like the moniker Nimrod for that pipe lighter. Makes me think of the inventor finishing his design and thinking to himself if any would buy such a design

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Somewhere I heard that the Poker shape was created and named for being able to smoke at the card table and set the pipe down without it tipping over. puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The Bulldog is the only "standard" shape pipe that can not be made without the use of a lathe to shape the bowl. Getting it right by hand is almost impossible.

p.s. If any of you want to know anything else just ask me. I have all the answers... and if I don't know, I can make up some b.s. that sounds like I do. puffy