PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
From a cursory glance I can see this book has been discussed on the forum before, so this might interest/amuse some of you. Compton Mackenzie also wrote Whisky Galore, for those who know the Ealing comedies. Anyway, having never read it I thought I'd pick up a copy from the online Oxfam shop - the choice was between a £20 paperback copy or a £7 hardback, so I chose the hardback. It turned out to be a first edition with this letter tucked in the front.IMG20230821093533.jpg16926073102457000923693615228330.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
An informative & humorous read, probably the best I’ve read on the subject. If you haven’t read it before, you’re in for a treat!
Like Barrie & Priestly, Mackenzie was a gentleman of a different era & like the tobacco those gentlemen enjoyed, a far better one than today.

If you’re anything like me, along with the fascinating history you’ll feel enlivened by the wit & humour in his writing.

after you’ve read it you’ll probably feel a little depressed with our modern era. Social media, forums, reviewers & all the rest of it.
From a good book to YouTube……what have we become?

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
An informative & humorous read, probably the best I’ve read on the subject. If you haven’t read it before, you’re in for a treat!
Like Barrie & Priestly, Mackenzie was a gentleman of a different era & like the tobacco those gentlemen enjoyed, a far better one than today.

If you’re anything like me, along with the fascinating history you’ll feel enlivened by the wit & humour in his writing.

after you’ve read it you’ll probably feel a little depressed with our modern era. Social media, forums, reviewers & all the rest of it.
From a good book to YouTube……what have we become?
The 'YTPC' - I'll never understand it!

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Having tried to find out some information about Mr Beckwith, I can find nothing connecting him to the tobacco trade. He appears to have been an officer in the Sherwood Foresters who was captured in the war, and edited and wrote various things, including some war poetry.

Reactions: simong

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Having tried to find out some information about Mr Beckwith, I can find nothing connecting him to the tobacco trade. He appears to have been an officer in the Sherwood Foresters who was captured in the war, and edited and wrote various things, including some war poetry.
You might want to enquire at the university of Nottingham. They’re quite involved with the ex workers from player’s. Mr. Beckwith sounds like he might have been a local lad (local to n’ham-Sherwood regt).

Reactions: jaingorenard

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

Absolutely right. To add a bit more, Edward George Chichester (EGC) Beckwith was born in Barnstaple, Devon on February 27 1905 to Richard Hornby Beckwith (1863-1921) and Janet Chichester (1884-1966). EGC was one of a family of two sons and three daughters. The father, Richard, was not in the tobacco trade, but his son EGC was by the age of 24 when his marriage record lists him as manager of a tobacco factory. Ditto the manifest eleven years later for a 1935 sailing to NY. During WW2 EGC achieved the rank of Captain and was interned in a German POW camp after being captured in Norway in April of 1940. He eventually received the Territorial Decoration for his long service with the Sherwood Foresters, and as jaingorenard notes wrote and published much poetry related to the war. In a May 1957 manifest (just a few months before the letter posted in the thread above) EGC is listed as a Director, and while there is no other evidence I suspect it was of a company in or associated with the tobacco trade. EGC died in the Cotswolds district on April 8, 1981 in Moreton-in-Marsh.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It’s probably worth adding that Beckwith wrote an unpublished history of John Player & Sons which explains (or reflects as the case may be) the connection between the letter writer and the recipient.

IMG_9955.jpeg

Last edited:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
As for Beckwith this letter dated the end of 1964 confirms his connection with JPS, and suggests that his entire career was with Imperial Tobacco (on the operations side for at least the 1920s and 1930s and most likely for the duration of his employment):

Beckwith Players.jpg

As for the letter writer if you can read his given name (I can't) and supply a surname I'll be glad to give it a shot. All that's clear from the letter is that his initials were J. A.

Reactions: guylesss

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
As for the letter writer if you can read his given name (I can't) and supply a surname I'll be glad to give it a shot. All that's clear from the letter is that his initials were J. A.

Based upon information contained in this Website (A History of John Player & Sons and its Horizon Factory · People at Players - https://peopleatplayers.omeka.net/horizon), my guess is that J.A. was none other than John Anstey, former Chairman and Managing Director of Player's, although I have a hard time reading either "Jonathan" or "Johnnie" from the signature.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Absolutely right. To add a bit more, Edward George Chichester (EGC) Beckwith was born in Barnstaple, Devon on February 27 1905 to Richard Hornby Beckwith (1863-1921) and Janet Chichester (1884-1966). EGC was one of a family of two sons and three daughters. The father, Richard, was not in the tobacco trade, but his son EGC was by the age of 24 when his marriage record lists him as manager of a tobacco factory. Ditto the manifest eleven years later for a 1935 sailing to NY. During WW2 EGC achieved the rank of Captain and was interned in a German POW camp after being captured in Norway in April of 1940. He eventually received the Territorial Decoration for his long service with the Sherwood Foresters, and as jaingorenard notes wrote and published much poetry related to the war. In a May 1957 manifest (just a few months before the letter posted in the thread above) EGC is listed as a Director, and while there is no other evidence I suspect it was of a company in or associated with the tobacco trade. EGC died in the Cotswolds district on April 8, 1981 in Moreton-in-Marsh.

Based upon information contained in this Website (A History of John Player & Sons and its Horizon Factory · People at Players - https://peopleatplayers.omeka.net/horizon), my guess is that J.A. was none other than John Anstey, former Chairman and Managing Director of Player's, although I have a hard time reading either "Jonathan" or "Johnnie" from the signature.
It could be J Anstey? Very difficult to tell.