PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve had more than a few periods when my pipes just didn’t satisfy me. I put them down for a week or two, and it passed.

And FFS, go get a physical. I don’t have high blood pressure….because I take my high blood pressure medication as prescribed. Ignoring hypertension is a bad idea.

Reactions: JOHN72

May 14, 2024
An update for those interested...

After one week without pipe tobacco I tried a small bowl of Prince Albert, and then a few hours later a bowl of Early Morning Pipe. The Albert was muted and had a bit of cardboard taste but I could still detect the nuttiness. The EMP has no taste at all except ash and a little of the bitterness you get when stem moisture hits the tongue.

I can smell and taste everything else just fine. My sinuses are clear but there's a slight dry feeling in my nose like you get after a night of too many drinks and cigs. There's no pain or discomfort of any kind.

fishmansf, I'd really like to hear how your experience goes, here. Please do give us an update as it unfolds!

Thanks

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im still gonna cast my vote for asymptomatic covid. Sounds exactly like what I experienced, though I did have symptoms. The loss of detailed taste lasted about 3 weeks. My nasal passages had an unusual feeling. Not buring...kind of a very mild tingle. The only flavors I got...even from stuff with latakia was a nutty, carmel flavor. It didnt taste bad but it wasnt right. I couldnt taste lat in the strongest of lat blends. Your description definitely mirrors what I experience.

Just because we dont hear much about covid anymore doesnt mean its gone. It isnt deadly for most but its still very present and probably is just a part of public life/health for now or forever...hard to say. All of my smell and taste didnt vanish but it was significantly diminished. Food was ok but there was less clarity and definition of flavors. The impact on tobacco taste was profound. The sense returns but at different rates. I noticed improvement after 3 weeks. If I had to guess, after 4 or 5 it was pretty normal. It was more than a little annoying. When I smoked I smoked crap becuse to do anything else was a waste of good blends.

Last edited:

DurinsRest

Lurker
Aug 13, 2022
I highly recommend taking a break and doing a couple things to clear out your sinuses, netty pot, they make some good herbal infusions online to put in boiling water and sit under a towel and sweat it out. But also you probably have a viral infection or covid so my money is on 1-3 weeks of issues with taste and smell and then slow resolving.

Reactions: MattRVA

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
An update for those interested...

After one week without pipe tobacco I tried a small bowl of Prince Albert, and then a few hours later a bowl of Early Morning Pipe. The Albert was muted and had a bit of cardboard taste but I could still detect the nuttiness. The EMP has no taste at all except ash and a little of the bitterness you get when stem moisture hits the tongue.

I can smell and taste everything else just fine. My sinuses are clear but there's a slight dry feeling in my nose like you get after a night of too many drinks and cigs. There's no pain or discomfort of any kind.

fishmansf, I'd really like to hear how your experience goes, here. Please do give us an update as it unfolds!

Thanks
I’ve found saline sinus flushes to be extremely helpful. Once I figured out to lean forward when applying and not letting it drip down the back of my throat it really seems to help. I had no blockage or obvious infection but a periodic flush helps with dryness. I was getting pain in my teeth and around my eyes, which prompted my use of the flush… just a shot in the dark but I thought I’d mention it.

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Try smoking Clan. You'll run, screaming, back to a decent tobacco. Or, in your present state, you might get a taste for it 🤯

DurinsRest

Lurker
Aug 13, 2022
I’ve found saline sinus flushes to be extremely helpful. Once I figured out to lean forward when applying and not letting it drip down the back of my throat it really seems to help. I had no blockage or obvious infection but a periodic flush helps with dryness. I was getting pain in my teeth and around my eyes, which prompted my use of the flush… just a shot in the dark but I thought I’d mention it.
Those work great!! Saline flushes for most people will help work it out. I've also seen people say eating grapefruit but idk how well that works.

Reactions: MattRVA