PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Are you thinking of joining Forums, or have you just done so? Here are a few suggestions on crafting your member introduction. I'm not the landlord here, nor am I a moderator, so I'm just offering suggestions as a member here and a reader of many introductions over ten years.

1. Keep the original post to several short paragraphs, enough to give a real introduction and a little information on yourself, but not just a line or two.

2. It helps to have a general idea of where you are located. You shouldn't give your address, but the nation, state, province, parish, etc., or just the region of where you live, so someone can visualize where you are located.

3. A few details about how long you have smoked a pipe, number of pipes you own, examples of brands, and blends you enjoy, keeping it brief but characterizing your involvement with pipes.

People can give a more personal welcome this way and actually get to know you a little, without your sharing anything online that you don't want to share. And welcome aboard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even more important than the intro is actually posting every month or two, if not more often. I'm not tracking this, but I'm sure that a fraction of the new members, maybe 25%, are never heard from again.

Not everyone interested in reading is really all that interested in writing. No matter how much you may be interested in pipes, some people dread and struggle with writing as a task, or are simply socially shy and stricken that way.

It's good to see most evolve from a brief distant intro into pretty good conversationalists. And some of us can't keep quiet ... ever.

Great post, MSO. Also, you don't want to ask a question in your introduction post, especially if you really want it answered. For example... "I just joined here. I like it so far, and really need to know how to load a pipe?"

You don't want to ask a question, because all you will get are about 200 posts of people saying "hello" and "welcome" And, even if one guy responds to your question, you'll have a hell of a time finding it amongst the "hellos".

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
I know Python stuck a thread at the top, but not everyone reads the sticky threads for some reason.

Bumping this again for any new folks that might read this and are thinking about what to write for an intro.