PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee : I think you may need to update your thinking in regard to your hypothetical young man. In todays world as a kid he will be lucky if he manages to hang on to his gonads whilst his teacher does his damnedest to persuade him that he really wants to be a long legged blonde!

At 16 with the current cost of living crisis coupled with various 'Global Warming' edicts he will not own a car and if progress is to be measured by current metrics his mode of transport will be an 'E-Bike' which will make for a great first date.

As to his first pay check from some weird 'Not for Profit' it will all probably be eaten up in taxes to pay off our huge national debt.

So his non-binary date for the night will just about be able to afford a 'Bug Burger' and a Soy milk shake!

My second real job where they took out taxes and social security was at the Cattleman Auction Company, which today is closed, and is across the road from the largest weed factory in Missouri.

Lionel Lear paid me on the books, and fifty cents more than the two dollar minimum.

It was a brand new sale barn, where buyers walked above us boys below in the manure and sweat and the occasional danger of a rodeo bull being auctioned off to the Hormel Meat Company as a cutter and canner.

Those old men up there on that skywalk would declare how lazy kids were today, they couldn’t hire help, and with all the long hair those days you couldn’t tell a boy from a girl, anyhow.

The auctioneer’s wife was a glamorous ornament , keeping the tallies and issuing tickets to the front office, and she had a daughter who worked the cafe.

She’d come out on the skywalk and ask if I was hungry and thirsty and I’d say Yes Ma’am and before long her long legged brunette daughter would brush past those old men with hungry eyes, to deliver me a double cheeseburger, fries and big Pepsi, which cost $1.25, in her high heels and short skirt, right across that cow shit and noise and stink.

I’d hand her two dollars and say keep the change, and she’d smile and wait for me, until the last load left the barn.

I’d look up at those old men and tip my Stetson, and wait for the next time the back door opened, doing things they only could dimly, barely remember.

Sometimes the auctioneers wife would key the microphone and say

Fire in the hole, boys, fire in the hole.

Get the buyers behind the rails.

And I’d grip my stick and wait for some old rodeo bull to come out the back door looking for trouble.

Up there on the rails above the auctioneer’s wife, was always watching.

I never forgot, the thrill of being young.

The kids today are doing the same.

Not all of them, but most of them.

Old men have been wrong about the kids for thousands of years, and counting.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
It baffles me that they call it 'football' as it never seems to get kicked.

Also, the fact you need to wear a crash helmet plus body armour kind of takes all the fun out of it, perhaps you guys need to watch a rugby league game or two ;)

And as for the constant stop/start nature of the game, I'd be bored to tears.

Jay.
Yep, I discovered pretty quickly in college that the rugby games were a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I thought it was a great game. However, I found that the halftime show, to again be lackluster.
I did find it hilarious and a bit ironic (note to Alanis Morrissette) that Ludacris literally stepped out singing "watch out for outfits ridiculous" while wearing a ridiculous outfit. 😭

1707753043309.png

• Haha
Reactions: SBC and mingc

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I thought it was a great game. However, I found that the halftime show, to again be lackluster.
I did find it hilarious and a bit ironic (note to Alanis Morrissette) that Ludacris literally stepped out singing "watch out for outfits ridiculous" while wearing a ridiculous outfit. 😭

View attachment 287958

I honestly thought it was decent. I’ve seen a lot worse shows in the past. The best one, IMO, was Prince. I have a lot of respect for that artist even though I’m not the biggest fan of his music. The guy was an amazing guitarist. RIP.

Reactions: Streeper541

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
It baffles me that they call it 'football' as it never seems to get kicked.

Also, the fact you need to wear a crash helmet plus body armour kind of takes all the fun out of it, perhaps you guys need to watch a rugby league game or two ;)

And as for the constant stop/start nature of the game, I'd be bored to tears.

Jay.
Eh different strokes for different folks. I’ve watched a few rugby matches over the years and didn’t care for it. But I’d watch that over cricket lol