PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I've found myself getting into snuff this year. It's along the must historic uses of tobacco and with the general unknown nature of the product as it stands now, even top shelf snuff is relatively inexpensive. I've been going hard in the paint on Wilson's of Sharrow, Fribourg & Treyer, and Sir Walter Scott blends, and I've got another order on the way - that 20% off Halloween sale this past weekend had my name all over it.

Whether individual tins or brands as a whole, what are your favorite snuffs?

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's delightful stuff. I think I'll be hitting it hard this winter once it gets really cold out. I'm still trying a bunch of different snuffs, but early favorites have been:

Wilson's Ani Plus (Anise)
Wilson's Apri 5g (Apricot/no menthol)
Wilson's Best SP
F&T High Dry Toast

Wilson's Plain is a good one for getting a sense of the base tobacco.

EDIT: Wilson's Grand Cairo is nice as well. It's not a favorite yet, but it could still move up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrew and jbfrady

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Used to love the Gawith Scotch Black snuff but they discontinued it. I recently bought some of their Black Arabica which is supposed to be coffee scented, but I haven't tried it yet. A friend gave me some Brusnwick Black Rappee which is really good. He also gave me a tin of Rows of Sharrow which is equally good though very different.

Reactions: andrew and jbfrady

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Used to love the Gawith Scotch Black snuff but they discontinued it. I recently bought some of their Black Arabica which is supposed to be coffee scented, but I haven't tried it yet. A friend gave me some Brusnwick Black Rappee which is really good. He also gave me a tin of Rows of Sharrow which is equally good though very different.
I also loved SG scotch. I have 2 tins left unopened. You should try Viking scotch, I'm pretty sure the house of gawith makes viking under contract. I opened a 100 gram tub of Viking dark rapee just recently I'd had over a year and the contents were perfect and still a smell of ammonia. So those plastic tubs do a good job of keeping snuff fresh. I would put dark rapee as the strongest snuff I've had yet. I literally get nic'd out pretty fast from it. I'm pretty much an open one tin at a time person now. To me Viking has that Gawith profile through and through

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Favorites are ozona president, wilsons crumbs of comfort, packards club (tho its been years because i can never find it in stock anymore), and absolute favorite is g&h original, but that stuffs up my nose something fierce come bedtime.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
After huffing powders like Leo from the Wolf on Wallstreet, I can safely attest that if anyone ever asks you which snuff is the best, the correct answer is Thrice Brewed by Sir Walter Scott. It's immensely agreeable, airy, has a moderate nicotine kick, and it leaves the surrounding world smelling lightly of lemon zest. Five stars on a four scale.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've found myself getting into snuff this year. It's along the must historic uses of tobacco and with the general unknown nature of the product as it stands now, even top shelf snuff is relatively inexpensive. I've been going hard in the paint on Wilson's of Sharrow, Fribourg & Treyer, and Sir Walter Scott blends, and I've got another order on the way - that 20% off Halloween sale this past weekend had my name all over it.

Whether individual tins or brands as a whole, what are your favorite snuffs?
for me it's all about plain tobacco and floral. Mostly bespoke from toque and a few classic Indian snuffs.

Reactions: jbfrady

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Far and above my favorite remains Hedges. It really wakes me up, hits the spot, transports me onto a windy, icy mountain after ascending trees. Ozona Type-C has a medicated cherry lip balm scent that reminds me of my father. Thor's Hammer gives the impression of walking a musty stable with fresh hay. Bernard's Original is a high alpine lake with freshly chopped cedar and pine sawdust. O&G is a whiff of fresh air while enjoying a cup of tea in London.