Sutliff 1849

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I remember that when 1849 came out 10 years ago, Skip at the Briary, had an open tin and he was excited for me to smell it. I was like, "I don't get it."
He asked me what it smelled like. I was like, "actually, it just smells like cigarette tobacco, like I just opened a pack of Camels."
He was all radiantly smiling, "Yeh, it smells like tobacco! A Sutliff product where all you can smell is the tobacco!"
I finally got his joke, and we shared a "hardy har har at Sutliff's expense." But... in all seriousness when I set back 20 tins of this, all it smelled like when I popped a tin was RYO tobacco.

Fast forward to the other day... I popped a tin and remembering Skip's joke, I expected it to just smell like tobacco. But, amazingly, with ten years in the cellar, it smelled very faintly like ketchup, with a faint hint of vinegar. It was very similar to a McClelland Virginia. Letting a little air mix with the freshly opened tin, it packed easy, and I still got a little tang on the initial lighting, but subsided to a tangy sweet smoke. I could definitely tell when the pipe's cherry touched a grain of perique, so there was always something new coming up in flavors as the bowl progressed.

This was my first tin to open since 10 years ago, and it just adds to the hundreds of confirmations that acetic acid is/can be formed on natural tobaccos with age. I have found this also in several of my own homegrown tobaccos. I am anxious to see how this one progresses further with maybe another ten years.

I highly recommend this tobacco. One of the few Sutliff products that I like. It is also one that you might try cellaring if you like VaPers.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I like this blend and I’m surprised you like it so much because I thought it was topped or at least cased with an orange flavor. Maybe I’m wrong. It has a decent amount of perique. I wonder if the blend changed much in the intervening years, I first tried it in 2019 I believe. I’ve always felt like it was a sleeper.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I like this blend and I’m surprised you like it so much because I thought it was topped or at least cased with an orange flavor. Maybe I’m wrong. It has a decent amount of perique. I wonder if the blend changed much in the intervening years, I first tried it in 2019 I believe. I’ve always felt like it was a sleeper.
Funny- I never paid much attention to this one. My local B&M has always had tins but I never looked very close because of the tin art. I assumed it was an orangish aromatic.

Reactions: MattRVA
Back when I ran the Magic City pipe club we had a rep from Sutliff come talk to us about tobaccos. He had said that 1849 was their only non cased VaPer. We also did not detect any casings when we popped the tin, or else I would never have bought any. I am pretty picky, and very skeptical, especially with Sutliff.

Funny- I never paid much attention to this one. My local B&M has always had tins but I never looked very close because of the tin art. I assumed it was an orangish aromatic.
Has anyone ever said that they taste an orange topping?
It is a rather tangy tobacco, but I detected nothing of the sort.
Or, did people just assume that because it was a Sutliff product that would be flavored? That's what I would have done if it wasn't pointed out to me.

I have always thought that the name of this blend was odd. It was the year of the California Gold Rush, but in trying to link the Gold Rush to oranges, I found that the very first orange tree wasn't planted in California till 1856. So, I can't even draw a line to connect any dots to why someone would think it was an orange aromatic, ha ha. I would love to know where this comes from.

Reactions: MattRVA

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I picked up 1849 at the Richmond pipe show and I just started smoking so I’m definitely most likely wrong about the orange flavor. I remember it being very tangy a quite good so I bought 3 tins to cellar. Another sleeper I ran across at the same time was Sutliff Tobacconist Reserve Virginia, I think it’s only available in brick & mortars but it’s pretty tasty.

I picked up 1849 at the Richmond pipe show and I just started smoking so I’m definitely most likely wrong about the orange flavor. I remember it being very tangy a quite good so I bought 3 tins to cellar. Another sleeper I ran across at the same time was Sutliff Tobacconist Reserve Virginia, I think it’s only available in brick & mortars but it’s pretty tasty.
Yes, as I said in the OP, I liked it, and thought it a very pure uncased tobacco, but it didn't excite me enough to rip through all of my tins before ten years had passed. But, now with age, hell yeh, I may just not have enough. I ordered 20 more tins, but if this new shit comes with an orange casing, I'm going to be pissed.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I have always thought that the name of this blend was odd. It was the year of the California Gold Rush, but in trying to link the Gold Rush to oranges, I found that the very first orange tree wasn't planted in California till 1856. So, I can't even draw a line to connect any dots to why someone would think it was an orange aromatic, ha ha. I would love to know where this comes from.
The various site descriptions link the name to the creation of Sutliff Tobacco in 1849 in San Francisco, CA. Maybe people thought the lady's dress on the tin was an orange? I'm just throwing darts.

The various site descriptions link the name to the creation of Sutliff Tobacco in 1849 in San Francisco, CA. Maybe people thought the lady's dress on the tin was an orange? I'm just throwing darts.
Ha ha ha, I am rolling, it IS a dress. I thought it was a gold nugget for the Gold Rush, 49ers and all of that, ha ha.

I never looked very closely at the tin art before. Knowing nothing about the blend, and only noticing the colors on the label as I scrolled by, I had always assumed it was a peach aromatic and kept scrolling. I see now, those aren’t peaches on the label.
It's interesting how everyone assumes it is an aromatic, ha ha. No, not peaches, but they are melons, ha ha.
The tin art may have hurt this blend's sales. Or, maybe everyone avoiding this one may have kept this one priced lower for my benefit, ha ha.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve only tried about a tin’s worth that a fellow member sent me early on in my year and a half (so far) journey.
It checks the boxes for a solid VaPer to me, but seems pretty rough compared to what else is out there.
For the money, I prefer Sutliff’s Match Victorian for a basic VaPer but may grab a few more tins of 1849 to toss back and let set for a while.