PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
I picked up a few Sutliff manufactured blends, Plum Pudding and some Hearth & Home blends and I see no way to figure out the manufacturing date. Does Sutliff not record the manufacturing date on the tin or am I missing some special code?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
They do not. I inquired directly with them a few years ago about adding it and they said they would "pass it along".

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well that sucks!
Pipe tobacco manufacturers typically don't intend their products for long term storage and produce them for immediate use. Cellaring being a fairly recent phenomenon, many companies don't bother with the date. Germain's even found the concept of cellaring bizarre and went so far as to reply to a forum member's inquiry years ago telling him to quit faffing about and smoke it.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
It's not that big of a deal and I put the date on them when I got them! The effects of aging on tobacco is just another really neat aspect of pipe smoking that I am excited to explore and seeing as am still in the early stages of this lifestyle and have no aged inventory, purchasing a "new" tin and discovering it already has a year or more age on it is like a cool little bonus!puffy

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
By the way, if it wasn't for this forum I would probably still be smoking Lane 1Q, cheap pipes from my brick and mortar and would have no idea about all these blends that I have to try, aged tobacco, artisan pipes, and the coming tobacco apocalypse! So I blame you all for my dwindling bank account! Ignorance is bliss!:ROFLMAO: