PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
... those 30-ish style stems -- nothing compares today.

100% agree.

For a while, every pipe model (premium brand ones, anyway) that could "handle" the style was swan-neck-ified.

Even the leetle ones.

Here's a CK. It'll fit in a shirt pocket:

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 7.33.23 PM.png

Many of the shapes/models still exist that were once swannies, but the elegance is gone.

Here's the same brand, finish, and model eighty years later:

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 7.42.04 PM.png

Why did the elegant look disappear?

As a stem maker myself, I have zero doubt it was the usual reason humans (in the final analysis) do anything --- Money

Not because a swanny stem takes more material, but because it takes more labor. They are a right royal pain in the ass to make, and there's no way to get around it. The stem has to be made twice. Shaped, then bent, then shaped some more AFTER bending.

Meaning pipe company owners and cost accountants were glad to see the fashion disappear in the rearview mirror.

Pipe collectors, not so much...

Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 8.00.13 PM.png

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Pappymac's 151 is one of the coolest Dunhills I've ever seen.

Weirdly, the shape didn't survive long, reason unknown. You'd'a thunk people would have lined up around the block to buy 'em.

Check out the stamping on his specimen. Perfectly executed at the factory---level, straight, even depth, not too shallow, not too deep---and then perfectly preserved (for almost a century!):

View attachment 300751
View attachment 300753
And it is has a place in my weekly rotation because it an enjoyable smoke.
I will admit that I haven't smoked it using a "inner tube" because it didn't come with one.

Reactions: dunnyboy
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The logo came about because I always thought pipes---Britshapes, at least---looked naked without something there, and every reasonable combination of colors, dots, and rings had already been taken. Also, stamps like Barling, Charatan, etc. weren't durable. (The world's Great Buffer Army has seen to that.)

An inlaid, semi-stylized half (third?) moon fit the bill.

View attachment 300535
Before I read your description of the backstory of the logo, I was reminded of Clarence Mickles who was said to have claimed that he used two white spots because his pipes were twice as good as a Dunhill. By that line of thinking that would make your pipe.... 😉

Great job. Beautiful pipe. Why am I completely unsurprised?